• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 A wiring help.

jaybird67k

I appreciate all y'all's help so far.
I have my set up and running and I'm ready to hook it to the house. I just need to know what position my single phase selector should be and also how the wireing going out to my house should look like coming off the generator lugs.

Thanks, Jason

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you phase selection switch is set to 240V, then you will want the AM/VM gauge set to 3 o clock, which if you look at the markings on the face plate should denote 1PH, L1-L3 energized, with readings I believe off L3.

L1 and L3 will be energized, with Neutral and G completing your wiring.

jaybird67k

Single phase 120\240. L0 is neutral. L1 a phase l3 b phase. Do you know what you're doing? Because there's a lot of ways to hook generators up wrong with very devastating results.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Yes sir I'm familiar with electicity but I'm not an expert hence the reason I'm asking. I wire stuff around the house all the time but again no expert.
My swim lane is on the mechanical side.

Thanks

Scoobyshep

Yes sir I'm familiar with electicity but I'm not an expert hence the reason I'm asking. I wire stuff around the house all the time but again no expert.
My swim lane is on the mechanical side.

Thanks
Noted, is it a safe assumption you are using it for backup use? If so you need to be sure you have a proper interlock (device preventing generator power from making to utility and vice versa)

jaybird67k

Noted, is it a safe assumption you are using it for backup use? If so you need to be sure you have a proper interlock (device preventing generator power from making to utility and vice versa)
Yes back up use. I live on the gulf in hurricane alley so I'm very familiar with not sending power down the wrong way.

Thanks, Jason

Scoobyshep

Waves from Florida

Can't be too careful these days. The problem is too many people don't know the risks.

Ray70

Single phase 120\240. L0 is neutral. L1 a phase l3 b phase. Do you know what you're doing? Because there's a lot of ways to hook generators up wrong with very devastating results.

Even when you know what you're doing mistakes still happen! I recently tested an AC reconnect box from an 003 I was selling to a fellow member. figured easiest way was to hook it up to my 003 I use for backup power which is connected to my shop and house.
1/2 way through hooking up the power wires to the "test" AC box, my wife calls to say dinner is ready.
I finish attaching the wires, head in to eat, come back out and start the gen, disconnect the house from the shop and switch the shop over to generator power. I turn on the shop lights, throw on the 1 hp bench grinder ( which sounded a bit odd ) then the exhaust fan ( which sounded really odd ) then I hear my son yell " Oh Sh*t " the tool box is on fire!
I look over and a dewalt 20V cordless battery charger on my toolbox had burst into flames.
I run out and disconnect the power only to find that the "dinner is ready" phone call interruption resulted in me attaching the 2nd hot leg to L0 instead of L3 so all the 120v outlets in the shop all received 240V including the dewalt charger.
Luckily all the expensive stuff was turned off and the charger seemed to be the only casualty.
Moral of the story... accidents can happen even when you "think" you know what you're doing! I just got off easy this time.