• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal oil cooler lines, possible fix, what do you think/

DanzboysM1009

CUCV Crew-

I'm in the process of replacing the radiator on my M1009, got it all tore apart. However, I can not get the oil cooler lines out of the radiator, the nut is frozen to the tube at the radiator. I can get the nut to back out of the radiator, but it won't rotate around the line and it's starting to bend. I used PB Blaster and whatnot to break it free, no dice. My question is, can I cut the aluminum lines just back from the radiator (allowing me to back it out) and then just back from the other end. After that get the high temp rubber hose and just hose clamp (double hose clamp it really) it to the aluminum lines? I read in here some one doing something similar, but used AN fittings at the engine end. Any thoughts/ help are appreciated.

LCDR Dan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tra a little heat on them with a propane torch. I wouldn't just clamp hoses to the aluminum pipes. You should have a bead on the metal pipe to prevent the hose from being pushed off.

Matt65

Be sure to use line wrenches. Mine we like this too. I managed to get them off by cutting the metal line near (3 inches) the radiator. This removed the interferance between the fitting, and the line. Soak the fittings overnight with penetrating oil.

What Will said above will work as well.

DanzboysM1009

I though about it more and you are right, these lines are under pressure and would surely slip right off the aluminum without a lip there. As things would have it, in my attempts to get things worked out, I noticed that this was not the first time these lines had been messed with, hence the reason they were difficult. I ended up breaking the lower line and as I examined it, I was able to see that it was turning because it was bent underneath the nut, same with the front. So no matter what I did, they were going to turn freely. I was able to find a hydraulic hose shop by my house, just going to get new lines made to replace the metal ones, it's better piece of mind. Talked to them today and they said they'll be able to do it. Oh well, out with the old, in with the new, that's why I bought it, to work on it and play around.

LCDR Dan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's half the fun of owning old military junk, being able to fix things and have the fix last. Have fun with it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks