• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mix N Match Batteries?

renovate7

My new 925 came with 4 red top Optima's in it. One is dated id 2010 and load tests good . The other 3 are 2005 and not great. I'm trying to slow charge 2 of them to see if they have any life left...Is it OK to get another new battery, group 24 etc, and use it with the Optima? The Optima is 1000CA, should a batttery coupled with it have the same CA or is a bit less OK?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal experience (disclaimer: your mileage may vary, batteries are not included, consumer to remove this sticker) has been that in multi-battery starting applications the weaker batteries inevitably drag the other ones down. Yes, same CCA *should* work fine, but I never had any luck with just removing dead batteries from a set and replacing with new "identical" batteries. The new ones bite the dust sooner when older batteries are in the mix.

The note to self is, if I have to replace one bad battery in a multi-battery application, I replace them all for THIS application and find new homes for the still serviceable batteries - either in single battery applications or in applications where I can combine just the "surviving" batteries without having to add any new ones.

197thhhc

I would replace all the batteries. The optima is a different type of battery (spiral core) than your standard lead acid plate battery. Mixing them can potentially cause problems. I would either buy 3 more optimas or 4 24 series

renovate7

These Optimas said 3 year unconditional warranty on them. Unfortunately they are 7 years old. I took the 3 of them and 2 6TM's to the scrap yard today and got $92...Red Top Optima's around here are $200 each, out of the question for this application. I have no problem only putting 2 batteries in this 925. So far 2 two Group 24's I've borrowed out of the Deuce start it almost instantly. I'm just wondering about mixing my good Optima with a new black box battery. I do see the value in matching cranking amps and don't think I can get 1000 out of a Group 24, may have to look bigger.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't go with enough cranking amps will it start ? probably
Will not having enough cranking amps shorten the starter life ? yes

Going cheap on batteries will cost in the long run , well maybe not in floridia but it will in the north .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks