• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifunction switch lever removal? (Turn signals signal switch lever)

Just a quick question folks. So I was diagnosising some problems with my wiper motor, and I replaced it and problem solved. But I have a new side project I want to work on. Does anyone know how to remove that turn signal lever? (The switch is 100% operational, I just want to replace it for aesthetics and also it has a crack in it) I see in videos that you just pull it straight out, and I applied what I thought was a good deal of force but it didn't budge. Should I pull harder? I saw replacements on LMC for $50. Ouch.aua

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kinda like a key at the end
Push and turn at same time and it should just come right out.
Can't remember which way to turn but it was very easy.

I found a NOS factory GM turn signal lever on eBay.
For a whopping $15 shipped.
Was exact match.

I think ACDelco still makes one.
Would be a whole lot better than LMC.

I tried tuning the wiper speed adjustment knob, the washer tab, doing nothing, pulling firmly out, you name it. If anyone knows the exact steps it would be very appreciated.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the new ones and you will see what the end looks like.
It does take some effort, but shouldn't be like what your describing.

If all else fails, go to a pull-apart salvage yard and practice with a junker so you don't screw up your turn signal switch.

cucvrus

Push in on the whole stalk and turn it forward towards you. It will come off. If you want to keep it and reuse it just sand it and get the sharp chrome edges off and paint it. Unless you are restoring it. You can do it.

Hasdrubal

I've been thinking of replacing mine. Is that wire shown on the video for cruise control? If so, as CUCV's wouldn't have one, I assume we don't have to deal with the wire. It looks like he just pulls straight out. I'm wondering why CUCVRUS said to "push in and turn it towards you." Is this some method for a different type of column?

cucvrus

You will not have a wire in an original CUCV. And I just was outside and I looked at it. If you push the inter piece of the stalk forward it will wash the window. So that is not how to remove it. You just push in and pull the inner part clockwise towards you and pull it off. It goes back in the same way. Try it a few times. The one on my Mule was a bit rusty on the shaft from running it with the roof off for several years. But it still came out and went right back on. I looked at a nice CUCV I have here and it was a bit easier. Off and back on in less then 30 seconds. If I grease the shaft it will basically fall off and fall back on. But just pulling straight out does nothing. Go practice and report back. Happy Holidays.musky muskrat.jpgEven this picture is mis-identified on the internet. That is NOT Musky Muskrat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks