• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First 5 ton

M818Runner

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site. I just recently won a M818 from Drexel Gardens, Indiana. The GL listing said:

MANUFACTURER UNKNOWN MODEL M818 TRACTOR TRUCK, 5 TON 6X6, VIN C12410180, 6 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE, 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ODOMETER READS 444. 2, HOURS READS 0016. 3, 4 12 VOLT BATTERIES, SEATING CAPACITY 3, RUNNING CONDITION UNKNOWN

I just wanted to find out everyones opinion on what you all think about the truck. I was planning on bringing pretty much a small garage with me for anything I need to do to the truck. Aside from that I was planning on bringing oil and a full filter change for the truck along with fresh fuel. I was hoping to get some feedback from everyone because this is my first large MV aside from an M38A1. I am planning on driving this truck back to Pennsylvania with me.

Attachments

bigelk50

Congrats on the win! Looks like a good truck. I just recovered mine the other day. I did not use half the stuff I took. But I was prepared. I would double check the fluids (all), Tighten all hose clamps, Check the belts and tires. On mine the emergency pull out did not work and the throttle lock needed adjusted. Do you need mud flaps in PA?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice looking truck. Welcome to the site. It looks to have been rebuilt like a bunch of other that came through that same GL site. If that is the case, then you can just check the fluids, air the tires if needed, fill it up, and drive home. It should be a fun trip back to PA.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be legal on your way home! Collector insurance policy, one trip plate from your state's DMV.

Check the brake fluid level, bring some silicone DOT 5 fluid!

Watch out on wet/icy pavement - those 11:00-20's will slide very easily.

bigelk50

Be legal on your way home! Collector insurance policy, one trip plate from your state's DMV.

Check the brake fluid level, bring some silicone DOT 5 fluid!

Watch out on wet/icy pavement - those 11:00-20's will slide very easily.
Very very good points!!

OD_COYOTE I know of a way to rid your fever!

mbarber84

Dan,

Congrats on the tractor....I`m glad you got it! Looking forward to helping you get it, thanks for all your help the other day with my Deuce recovery....more trucks to add to our motorpool! The Pittsburgh chapter of Steel Soldiers is growing daily!! Glad your brother got the deuce too! See you this weekend!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a spectacular truck, my g/f and I were contemplating bidding on it. Congratulations and welcome to the site!

There is a good article here on the site about what to take with you when you pcik up a deuce and I think it should roughly be the same for a 5 ton. The usual stuff: Dot 5 silicone brake fluid, belts, hoses, coolant, water, oil, GL-1 gear lube, tools, flashlight, camera, extra batteries, batteries for the truck, etc.

And a temporary tag and insurance.

Engine5

Welcome aboard,
You will find this site to be filled with members whose knowledge of these trucks will help you quite a bit. And the integrity of the members is something you will find on no other site.
Oh, and that is a sweet looking truck you won................ can I have it.:p

wsucougarx

Wow, incredible looking 818!! Nice catch. The only thing I saw your truck lacking are mudflaps. Everything looks great. Gees, newly rebuild...can't beat that

m.walker

Nice score !!! When you go to get it just take your time don't be in a hurry , your already familiar with how MV's are different . Stop and check things out as you go and just enjoy stepping up to the big leagues ! Looks like you got a really nice truck ! Mark

Wrench Wench

I was looking at those trucks in Drexel Gardens myself, being in Indiana already. I'm just not interested in an M818, though. (M814s :drool:)

I would be interested in what you finally paid to see what the 5 tonners at Drexel were going for and to read all about what you had to do to it to get it up and running reliably to see what Drexel calls "RUNNING CONDITION UNKNOWN".

Edit:
:jumpin: Drexel just got two more M814s!

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

January 23rd, 2009.:-D

Congratulations on the truck.... if it weren't for the need for a CDL on one of these, I'd think hard about getting one myself. Yours is so nice it's enough to make one drool. By comparison, My 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with 25,000 miles on it is really worn out looking....
Do be careful in rain and snow/ice conditions, you will find military NDT's on the road can contribute to a religious experience or worse, under the right (or wrong) conditions. Also remember to drain your air brake reservoirs daily, or more often in sub freezing conditions, and if the truck has an alcohol inspirator on the compressor, use it when running (in cold weather) Thumbs up on the catch, you will find a wealth of information & assistance on this site.:wink:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck.
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Generator Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks