• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help installing

Mooseknuckle71

Hey everyone. I was wondering if there was anyone available who might have tools, a welder and a driveway. I'm looking to install a rear shackle flip and zero rate and change out the shock mounts in the front on my 1985 m1008. I have most of the tools minus the welder. I now live in an apt in manasquan NJ since my divorce. Hence the need for a driveway. I will supply the beer,food and throw some cash in there. If there is no one that can help can anyone suggest a truck shop? Thanks in advance. Moose out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just curious, why would you need a welder for this? Or are the shackle mounts one of those DIY kits?

richingalveston

The best tool to get the old mounts out is an air-chisel. you can get the old rivets out in minutes with an air chisel. the ORD kit bolts right to the holes you remove the rivets from. no welder needed.

Shock mounts bolt on also.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you install the shackle flip kit you will need to relocate the rear passenger-side shock mount because the kit actually causes a rotation of the axle to the extent that the shock will not clear the axle tube and still bolt at the top. This issue has been discussed on SS before. You either have to relocate the top mounting position or the bottom, and the bottom is easier. When I installed my flip kit I simply cut the bottom mount off the tube and rotated it upwards on the tube and re-welded it. This also provided the unexpected benefit of getting the mount up and out of the way of future rock impacts, so I also relocated the driver's side tube bracket as well. Here's a photo of the issue after the flip kit has been installed, along with another photo from the rear which shows nothing hanging down to catch rocks and sticks. Oh yeah, I also installed ORD's U-bolt flip kit too. Hope this helps.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks