• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Garden City, Kansas

USMC 00-08

Hello all! I am new to all of this. I checked out this site before joining and am very impressed.

I am an 8 year veteran of the USMC and served as and infantryman with several MOS in the infantry field.

I recently came into possession of a 1953 GMC M135 and am really looking forward to restoring it. The truck was given to me so I suppose I can afford to put some money into it. I don't have any knowledge about this, so I will be trying to learn as much as I can from all of you so that this restoration is done properly and correctly.

desertfox

Welcome to the site.
Yes pics would be nice. What does the truck require?
There is a 135 or 211 sitting in a local boneyard complete with winch. The truck as a whole is not in good shape but may have some salvageable parts. I may have some photos somewhere. Took them while collecting a 47 Buick sitting next to the truck.

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the site.
Yes pics would be nice. What does the truck require?
There is a 135 or 211 sitting in a local boneyard complete with winch. The truck as a whole is not in good shape but may have some salvageable parts. I may have some photos somewhere. Took them while collecting a 47 Buick sitting next to the truck.
I appologize about no pics. I thought I had them on the computer but they have vanished. Will have to go where I have the truck parked and take more pics.

The truck is all orange as it was used by the forestry service. It had been parked for 20 years but checked it over, put batteries etc. and it started right up! All the gauges looked good. I drove it a short distance to see if it would and it would not shift out of first gear. Maybe linkage?

It needs all new exhaust, air cleaner hose, a good tune up, a tailgate and all accessorries for the bed. I also need seat covers and some glass. I am sure more will be needed when I finally am able to get into it. The truck did not have a bed when it was given to me, but a local farmer had an M135 bed and I purchased it for $100.

I have the manuals for the truck and that is really as far as I have gotten. I will need to find out where to get parts, paint etc. but will post requests for that over in the M135 section. I also have a friend who drove these in the Army back in the day and he is eager to help me with the truck.

91W350

There is a complete one, minus windows and seat covers sitting in a rural farmer's bone yard. It is close to the Saline/Ellsworth line. I have not spoken to him about it for a few years, but last time he said he would like to see somebody restore it. There was also one sitting in Lincoln Kansas, I think it may have been crushed though. It is beautiful up there, I know it was really cheap, so if you would like, the boys and I will run up and see if it is still there. Welcome to the forums from a fellow Kansas Boy. Glen

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site and great score on getting a 135 bed. I am still trying to get a non cut down one for mine. Guess I need to look father west.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

There is a complete one, minus windows and seat covers sitting in a rural farmer's bone yard. It is close to the Saline/Ellsworth line. I have not spoken to him about it for a few years, but last time he said he would like to see somebody restore it. There was also one sitting in Lincoln Kansas, I think it may have been crushed though. It is beautiful up there, I know it was really cheap, so if you would like, the boys and I will run up and see if it is still there. Welcome to the forums from a fellow Kansas Boy. Glen

Any help would be much appreciated! I will have to buy things little by little.

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the site and great score on getting a 135 bed. I am still trying to get a non cut down one for mine. Guess I need to look father west.

I may know where 3 of them are. It has been a few years since I saw them so who knows if they are still there. One of them another local farmer had but if I remember correctly, it is an M211. The other 2 were at a feedyard my dad managed in the mid 80's. I was told in the last year or so that those trucks are still there but in the businesses junk yard now. I will check into it soon and let you know if you would like.