• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New production parking brake cable question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a new production parking brake cable, new style. Both the sleeve and the cable itself were of smaller diameter than the original one that was in the truck.

I overcame the problem by making sleeves out of rubber hose to make the various clamps fit.

However, the properly adjusted cable broke after about 10 uses. Because of backorder, I waited 3 months for this cable and was....underwhelmed.:-(

And, yes, I had checked the cab floor hole and the big triangular clamp underneath to ensure the cable pulls straight and does not chafe.

1) Has anybody else had issues with this type of cable?
2) Who stocks the "real" cable?

GoHot229

Were you recently the member looking for a source for these? a couple weeks ago post? I had mentioned Erik's out in San Diego as a supplier. Seems that they might have sent you an M37 or some odd unit, insufficient? The full sizers have to still be out there I'd think, mabe Saturn? or Boyce in Ogden UT. Though Erik's listed them, i think around $35 or thereabouts? That seems like someone 'jacked' you with that one???

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you recently the member looking for a source for these? a couple weeks ago post? I had mentioned Erik's out in San Diego as a supplier. Seems that they might have sent you an M37 or some odd unit, insufficient? The full sizers have to still be out there I'd think, mabe Saturn? or Boyce in Ogden UT. Though Erik's listed them, i think around $35 or thereabouts? That seems like someone 'jacked' you with that one???
Yes, and thank you for pointing me to erik's. I looked at his web site and his cable looks much like the one I got...awaiting his reply!

I did not think of the possibility that the cable might be for a different truck altogether; it has the right length and the right clevis, so I am not sure if it would fit on any other MV.

All I can say is, if you get a parking brake cable that is not the same thickness as the original - run.

jasonjc

I just looked at the New Star catalog at the brake cables. The 2 that they show look right. The newer one looks just like the last one I put in, and it was right and works good. New Star is who most of the dealers buy from. This make me think they sent you the wrong one, or it was miss marked.