• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Style Turret Hatch bolt question

mrfarb

Now that my a/c is working, I’m going to address the water leaking issues with the turret and slant back by sealing stuff up. One big issue is the bolts I have for the hatch hinge (not shown) and strut support when turret is open are the correct style and size, but the finish is black oxide - they rusted in about 10 minutes of Texas humidity and rain. I can’t order them from Mac as the part number doesn’t come up as available - is there a way to get military original bolts for these with the correct weatherproof finish like grade 8 bolts have? Pic shows the strut support bolts #21 in the parts diagram with part number and size.

Attachments

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just buy the bolts in stainless steel, I try and use SS socket cap bolts on all the turrets I install and sell.
also, apply a sealant on the bolt before you insert the bolts, that’s how the factory does it.

mrfarb

I wanted to update this thread with some helpful information. After having little luck finding the correct size stainless bolts, I called Mac motors. The salesman couldn’t help me, but told me to put the part number from the parts manual into McMaster-Carr bolt supplier website which is one of the army suppliers.

92210A638 - 3/8-18 4” flat head screw
92210A644 -3/8-24 1 1/2 inch flat head screw

Both bolts are available in small quantities (singles for 4” and 5 pack for 1 1/2 inch). These are stainless bolts as suggested. It takes 5 of the 4” and 4 of the 1.5 inch fyi.

props to retiredwarhorses and Mac motors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks