• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M49A2C dressed as M35A2 cargo truck, with mistery nonturbo engine???

61sleepercab

I purchased from a local farmer a retired VFD M49A2C former tanker which has been converted to a regular Army cargo bed tandem truck. My limited info so far while standing in the rain:

M49A2C Kaiser Jeep 1968 DAAE 06-68-007 CARC-94 paint under red fire truck paint covered with OD Green
Mileage now: 13,123 Rebuilt by 715 Rebuild date 7-90 with odo then 06762

A quick look under the hood 6 Cylinder Diesel NON TURBO with Splicer 5 speed overdrive with manual shift two speed transfer case with air shift front axle. Owner said he thought engine was Continental regular diesel.

I will follow with pictures when it is not down pouring and when I educate my self more on what to look for. The truck is running and seems to be a good unit .

What do I look for to ID this nonturbo engine? I was expecting a multifuel in a 1968 truck , What engine transplant did I run into from a 1990 Army rebuild? Clarke Surplus Truck parts is a hour away so who knows what got shoe horned into my new play toy? The engine does not resemble a Cummins or Cat as far as I can tell. Help Mark Sergent

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats to your purchase and welcome. This site is a wealth of information - if you take the time to read and learn.
Without pictures, it is always a guess, but I would think that you have a non-turbo Multifuel engine. Do you have the exhaust between the rear wheels or does it have a thin stack on the passenger side?
Look on the passenger side of the block; there should be a data plate. Report what it says.
Also, take the time to download and read the operator's manual for the M35 series trucks; many questions you are guaranteed to have are already explained in there. You find the manuals at the top of the page, "Technical Manuals". Here is the link for the operator's manual: http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf

Also, the mileage reading and hour reading have no meaning to you. Record them, so you know when your maintenance starts. That is all they are good for (military changed instruments as needed).

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Skinny Exhaust up by windshield post on the old girl. I have never heard of a nonturbo Multifuel before. I looked under the hood and as Gomer Pyle would say Gooow Leeee they done stole the turbo. I guess that the idea was less chance of sparks, fire and the big boom. Fuel trucks are nothing to play with anytime. Here in Wesr Virginia a gas truck overfilled a tank and the gas and fumes went down the road and ignited a fire that burnt almost down the Civil War Philippi Covered Bridge where the North and South fought the first land battle of the Civil War.

The truck seems solid and pretty rust free. The local volunteer fire department had two deuce fuel tank trucks to haul water for brush fires and rough roads. I figure that they were retired when power steering trucks were bought. A fire department member told me the trucks were bought from State surplus.
The old girl has recent work, clutch job, brakes and wheel cylinders and a paint brush OD green paint job and has been shed covered along with a 1.5 ton 1953 trailer.
I am ready to learn the ins and outs of a deuce and make her a parade girl at first. Thanks for the tips. MARK

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
61sleeper,
non-turbos are somewhat rarer than the turbo variants. There were turboed tanker trucks, so the big boom was not the reason. The non-turbo smokes more, and that is whey the military had to "clean them up" by getting more air in.
I have never owned one, but those that do swear that they can at least hold a conversation in the cab without screaming or going deaf.

Looks like you scored quite well with the truck and trailer!