• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb - Roll off???

AzBuckfever

Hey all,
I've been reading quite a bit here and done a lot of searching around for different ideas/questions I've had. The most recent idea has been a Roll Off Bed for a deuce or 5 ton (I know, not the right forum for 5 tons).
I was thinking for an off-road recovery vehicle or something of the sort, it would be perfect. Even an M109 or something to offload one's camper mod.
Maybe it's already been thought of or created, but I couldn't find a thread on it anywhere.
Anyone have any thoughts to this?

P.S. I don't have a deuce yet but my father in law just bought 2 of them on GL and we are now waiting for that freakin' EUC stuff :(

Josh

A standard deuce would only give you about a 12-14ft deck to deal with. an 813 would be close to a 14-16ft deck, and an 814 would be a 20-24ft deck..

Also I was thinking of how cool it would be to put an underlift on a deuce, but this is the first time I've said anything about it.

AzBuckfever

Those are the lengths I would want....Nothing major, just something useable. Also, if it makes any difference, my father-in-laws deuce is a M36A2, but from what I know, it doesn't make any difference because the frame is still the same length.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it. I suppose I could buy a roll on trailer, but 6x6 would be nicer :-D

M1075

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it. I suppose I could buy a roll on trailer, but 6x6 would be nicer :-D
Yeah, the military has done it. Just get a 5 ton bridge truck with cargo pallet (or truck with hooklift system). Here are some pics.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are the lengths I would want....Nothing major, just something useable. Also, if it makes any difference, my father-in-laws deuce is a M36A2, but from what I know, it doesn't make any difference because the frame is still the same length.
Hey,welcome to Steel Soldiers. Actually, the M36A2 does have a longer frame. It would be a good candidate for a light duty roll back. You would have to chop the frame off behind the rear axles but it shouldn't be a big deal. Getting a 19 footer on there shouldn't be a big deal. Turning radius will suck and the lack of power steering would compound that but if it's not going to have to earn its keep going up and down the local streets everyday, it would be fine! Be great for beach recoveries! Finding a 19 footer on a truck ready for the scrap heap shouldn't be that tough!

AzBuckfever

Thanks for the pics M1075....boy do I feel stupid not thinking of that. But, every little bit helps :D Too bad I didn't think of that truck before but, live and learn :D Y'all are a HUGE help. We (my father in law and I) have different ideas for our rigs :) I'm thinking of a roll back deck, 46" tires, etc....He's thinking more comfort (Air seats, air steering, etc.) I think he has a log on here as well but no idea what his name is. He also has more financial backing than I do....oh well. It wouldn't be worth it if it didn't take time.

Thanks again.

hklvette

bridge trucks aren't what you call "readily available" What you could do is splice an M818 with a PLS from a HEMTT, as both come up on GL with some frequency.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I agree the M36 is light duty (and short) compared to a 5 ton M814.
but the statement "a duece with a steel bed would not leave enough load cap" doesn't make much sense as the M36 with the steel bed that is on it has a 10k capacity. So if the roll back bed weighed twice the stock bed you'd still have 8k capacity and there is not that many things heavier than that which would fit anyway.

tm america

you could put a pls system on there they sell them .then you could put a flat bed for towing a box for camping a dump for hauling gravel-scrap. and even use a stock bed for a close to stock look.they aren't cheat but they are less than a new roll back and would do what you want and more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks