• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Intro....

Millwoodva

I just stumbled across a M35A2 today and thought of my Dad....
This is the info I pulled from the Dash tag..
2320-926-0873
s/n NK077W-0640-11319
Contract# DAAE07-73-C-0232
Headliner:
Landmark Mfg
MFR-5U403
s/n 1663

Overall condition is GOOD
60,000 miles

Runs ....per seller (did not hear it run)
Needs Paint, Two windshields, Seats recovered

Questions: What would be a fair offer?
What year?
Trouble areas to look for?

I am a true Newbie...I knew nothing about these until two hours ago.... :D

poppop

Its hard to say without pictures but you can buy an excellent one from GL now for $2500.00 to $3000.00. I just bought one for $1400.00 with a new soft top on it. It was missing the alternator and passenger side windshield. It runs great, has good tires and a spare in the rack. No troop seats, bows or cargo top. I will post a picture for you to look at.

By the way, WELCOME ABOARD. You know you have been exposed to the virus now and there is no known cure, and one is never enough.

littlebob

Welcome aboard and Merry Christmas! I'm sure plenty of members will be glad to help you with the answers. I have found(took me a while), that almost any question you can ask can be found by using the search feature. That being said I still post questions to get feedback from other SS members.
Reads all the FAQ and then post some pictures. I've seen Deuces from 1K to 15K advertised, so it really has a lot to do with the condition and accessories
included. Posting the pictures and getting more details about tires,leaks and such should help everyone an idea of what ask you next.

littlebob

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck was contracted in 1973 so it's a 1973 or newer by a couple of years. There were only 2,000 trucks built under that contract according to DDoyle. The truck should have AM General as the mfg. on the data plate. Check the frame on the drivers side under the front fender and make sure you see "0640-11319" stamped in the frame. There seems to be several trucks around that have had the data plate changed.

Here I am talking like I'm a expert :? . I only know what I know from DDoyle and Medlog.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going just on what you said (which is very little) I would start at about $1,500 or less and go from there.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Truck was built in 1975 - some would say 1974, but I am confident with 1975.

How much is a truck worth??? As a hobby - whatever you are happy paying and the seller is happy taking. Lots of folks complain about paying too much - but most of these folks have visions of being a dealer - and a lot more people (myself included) complain about the trucks that they let get away, than complain about paying too much. I buy trucks with the idea of them being a lifelong hobby. If I pay 10000 for a truck and live another 30 years - that costs me about 25 bucks a month - will I get 25 bucks a month of pleasure from it? Yep.

The times I've spent with my son, my dad, and my friends with these vehicles is truly priceless.

Don't pay XXXX dollars because we, or anyone, says it is worth XXXX - pay what the pleasure is worth to you. If you want a hard top - which this truck has, and were to buy a new miiltiary hardtop, it would cost you roughly $1000.00.

BTW - I've written two books listing values for these trucks - but what I have written here is my true opinion of the value.

Also, BTW, I got some more info from AM General that indicates 6000 trucks or so were built on contract DAAE07-73-C-0232 - the same contract the truck in question was built on.

HTH,
David Doyle

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David is correct. What do you think it's worth? Are you handy with the tools to fix it? Haggle with the guy. Parts are easily found, you might get away with it for a very reasonable price. Check the member locator map, there might be someone close to ya that can help you out. BTW, David, nice write ups in MVM this month!

n1bnc

The best part of this hobby is to enjoy what you have for a green toy, and if/when it frustrates you, walk away and come back another day with your head back in the thinking position. The smile that you get when you drive it down the street is worth the adventure!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle said:
Also, BTW, I got some more info from AM General that indicates 6000 trucks or so were built on contract DAAE07-73-C-0232 - the same contract the truck in question was built on.

HTH,
David Doyle
OK, I was going off your article in MVM.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
OK, I was going off your article in MVM.
I suspected as much, thanks for remembering me. I got some additional info after that article was prepared - with well over 100000 of the G-742 (M35-type) trucks built, there is still much to learn/discover.

Regards,
David

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the SS family Millwoodva! Where are you in VA? We are trying to get a group together for a covoy and drive-in in the Tidewater area. Also, Maddawg308 and a few others are working on an off-road rally for the spring around Charlottesville.

Look on the VA member map and see if any deuce owners are near you that could go look at it with you. Prices for deuces are all over the board depending on how bad the bidders want it, condition, locations, etc.... I paid $1000 for my first M35A2 w/w. I put about $500 in it, drove it for 3 years and traded it and a $500 trailer for a Unimog 404 worth about $5000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks