• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OA-331 belts

Barrman

I was flying along at 55 mph or so in the Gasser the other evening enjoying the mechanical noise when a loud thunk came from under the hood, followed by another and then a really odd vibration. In goes the clutch and the gauges get checked. Volts still in the green, oil psi normal, temp right at 180 and air stable. I shut it off and coasted down to about 5 mph. Popped the clutch out in 3rd gear and it fired right up, gauges go to normal and the odd vibration is still there. Nothing smells funny and the lower the rpm, the less the noise/feel from under the hood. We idle the mile or so home and I am convinced the water pump has commited suicide by the time we get it parked. I pop the side cover with it still running and the fan is still spinning, but the noise is from that area. I shut it down and crawl on up to look. No play in the pump shaft, coolant on the block behind the pump and I am convinced the pump broke.

I go look at it the next day and a fast check shows the radiator still full and the alternator belt really loose. While I am trying to figure out how it got so loose, I realize there is only one belt instead of two. Well, there is my problem. When the belt let go, it hit my "triple failure part", the water cooled air compressor, coolant feed line and moved it just enough to cause a leak at a fitting I can see, but not get a wrench on.

Anyway, I need new belts. I put NOS belts on it 2 years ago and this is what happened. All the belts I have left have no numbers on them. The parts book gives these numbers:

Air belt- RC-1861 M5

alt belt- RC-1030 A7

These numbers of course are 60 years old and useless. I know I could take my remaining belts into an auto parts store and play "Lets see what looks closest." I really don't want to do that. So, does anybody have the proper numbers for the wide V belts on a Gasser M35?

Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, don't you know that..........................

nopics

We want to see CARNAGE......................................

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA belt numbers are made up from the total length in half inch increments. IE x550 is a fiftyfive inch total length belt, while an x545 would be 54.5 inches long. Measure what you need to have (and remember to account for stretching) and get something in the right 'style' to match the other characteristics (angle of the vee, depth, etc), then look for an older counterman to ask for the belt. Young folks may tell you it does not exist, more experienced individuals will know how to get you what you need. YMMV

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put new napa belts on the gasser before it was converted to mulitfuel. The were a great fit. Napa matched the original belts, which were in good shape.

25-22545 for the alt/waterpump belts
25-28463 for aircompressor.

Dennis

Barrman

I live in a town with no NAPA, so O'rielly's got to charge me almost $30 each for the 3 belts and I get to wait until the end of the week before they get here. But, at least they are coming.

I put new hoses on mine 2 years ago. Pretty sure either OD Iron or Antelope Valley had the hoses. I can't remember which and the paper work is buried somewhere in the house.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks