• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil analysis report... scary!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in September, I changed oil at Leonaro's place (Baby Hemmet), drove the truck to Oklahoma, where it got a workout doing a lot of lifts at the place where the XM757 was picked up and towed home.
A total of about 3,500 miles, low oil pressure was a big concern and the "knocking" mentioned in earlier posts. The knocking isn't bad, many has listened to it and shrugged it off.

This oil analysis report is right on the money. A new concern is the "excessive fuel dilution", guess it would make good fuel now, ha ha ha.

I need to take another look at the FDC for sure, looks like it is leaking unless there is another problem.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"suspect bearing/bushing wear" What do the wear metals numbers look like?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
High lead, that's not good. The bearings must not be lead/tin, maybe a zinc overlay? Looks like the phosphorus and calcium are high too. These usually are high along with silicon if there is coolant in the oil. Does your bio have water in when you make it? Are you running plain water with a DCA only or nalcool?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant is Ethylene Glycol and distilled water 50-50 plus DCA's (about two pints).
The fuel for that part of the trip was mainly diesel, since I had used up most of the veggie oil and bio diesel on the way out.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, take the radiator cap off, see if there is what looks like little globs of grey pudding on the rubber. Maybe you have a head gasket going away too.

FreightTrain

Banned
Hate to say it but that is VERY bad.The lead is from the bearings.The bearings have brass in them.Brass is Copper and Lead with other junk(I know,Had to get a lead poison test at work while working with brass..).The knock is more than likely now a rod bearing worn but could be other lesser problems like fuel injectors off.Silicon is usually air filter problems letting dirt in.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most Caterpillar service places have analisys on premisis, and i think Flying J has them too and places called Speedco, they're usually built next to truck stops.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, I am verry sorry to hear of this problem with your truck. Looks like some major engine work will have to be done. At least it was caught before anything real bad happened.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Patrick, I'll be bypassing the FDC and with fresh 30W oil and a new filter (just the one for now, while testing D-man's set-up),
I should have oil pressure back to normal and the "knocking" problem will have to be dealt with later. Well, you heard it during your visit, not terribly bad.
Obviously, low oil pressure is a good indicator of a problem such as low viscosity.

I'll do my best to make sure that big beautiful LDS465-2 in the 8x8 will not suffer like this.

FreightTrain

Banned
I use Blackstones Labs.They send you a little bottle with pre printed shipping lable.All you gotta do is open the bottle,Remove the bag,slip of paper,and smaller bottle.Fill the small bottle,put in the plastic Bag,fill out the form and send it via USPS.You get some really strange looks when you show up with a black bottle being sent to a Lab.....You can have fun with them if you walk in on a hot day dripping with sweat and ease the bottle down VERY carefully....It cost me $15 bucks for a basic test.They tell you everything that is in the oil,they will also tell you if you can keep using the oil(contaminates and viscosity) a little longer,plus they can do additive testing for extra if you want to full service.The bottles are free.Just contact them and they send you 2 or 3 bottles.You can prepay for the testing and just put the bottles on the shelf for future use.I do ALL my vehicles.How I found out my 94 F350 Cavitated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypassed the FDC today, used plugs instead of loops of tubing shown in other diagrams.

Also installed D-man's hoses and clamps instaed of my hydraulic specials.

Drained the filter and reinstalled it for a test with fresh 30W oil.

After 30 minutes a idle, the op temp was 145°F and the oil press a solid 30 psi. The drop across the filter was 6 psi.

It appears at first glance that my low oil pressure was a result of extra low viscosity of the fuel tainted oil.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
Why the change in hoses?
It's D-man's kit, he sent the hoses later and I thought it would be a better show for him to use what's part of his kit. For a permanent install, I'd probably go with crimped on fittings, though, I still have them.

derby

Bjorn,What is that sensor or magnetic switch on the side of your IP,just at the back of the fuel cut off rod?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks