• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil and gear lube leak observation

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to thank whoever posted the old adage that, if you feel your Deuce is leaking too much, put a load of gravel into the bed and drive it hard for an hour. Then watch her stop leaking.

I remember reading this, smiling and moving on.

My truck had been sitting for three years when I picked her up. She was a little moist at the pinions and all axles were leaking. When driving above 45 mph, engine oil puked out at a location I am still not sure about. It has successfully evaded all attempts to be found, but is somewhere towards the front of the engine where the fan can blow it all over the place. It would, after several hours of driving, actually creep up along the bolts that hold the hood stiffener to the underside of the hood and form a small greasy patch around the bolt heads; droplets would on occasion hit the windshield. Like on a WW II fighter plane that got shot to pieces. The transfer case would always have a drop of gear oil hanging at the bottom.

I did axle and some pinion seals and drive the truck often. It has always been leaking in a mark-the-territory kind of way. Oil stains at four or five locations, the ones under the engine could get to the size of the palm of my hand, sometimes larger when the truck sat for two or three weeks (rare).

Then, this summer, I loaded her with gravel and drove her home from the pit, four times, two hours each.

She is still leaking - but there are now only three spots, none larger than a quarter coin. They don't get any larger, even when she sits for a longer time. The bottom of the transfer case is dry.
I was paranoid and checked fluids right away (hoping that what was leaking out was not all that was left!). All good.

So, the old wisdom does indeed work!

Last edited: