• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting over CARC with subsitute....

linx310

I want to repaint my M1009 with out spending a fortune or killing my self....

I was planning on leaving the old CARC on and just degrease and sanding it and then paint over it with a CARC substitute such as the Rapco 383 paints.

Would this work ok?

Does an air gun work better then using the rattle cans?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted my M1028A1 with Gillespie 383 CARC substitute. Scuffed the original CARC with 120G paper on a DA sander. Gillespie was not thinned, and rolled on with 1" diameter by 6" wide foam rollers. Dried hard as a rock and no issues after 15 months.

ralbelt

Scuff ,prime,scuff, color. I did not prime the entire truck and where I did not I am not entirely happy with the look. I used Sherman Williams 383 green over camo and you can see the texture in a few places if you look hard.

flyxpl

machine sand ( da sander ) with 320 . Degrease and paint . no need for primer unless you sand to bare metal . If you are crazy about not breathing the dust use resperator or wet sand with 400 . If sanded good you should get rid of any texture or other misc. imperfections from the old paint job .

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto :ditto:Flyxpl
I would buy SW CARC it is not that bad on price and spray very nice and not that bad on envroment water bourn with distilled water as a reducer mouster cure.

emr

Scuff and shoot , its that simple, all u need to do over that carc, done it many times, it works and lasts, all u need is giliespie or arvoe or any hobby paint for all u will ever want ,AND the hobby paints are better matchs than store brands. once U use a spary gun u will hardly ever use a rattle again, mixing paint is as easy as u make it, if u are anal and need exact measuring it will just take more time, get the hang of what u want a few times and mix by eye, and shoot, if u are doing a whole body even the mixs so they match, but stuff like wheels, interiors are usually just one can, mix and shoot fast , the more U do it the more fun and easier it is. good luck,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks