• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PART OUT A DEUCE--- yes or no?

dm22630

I have a dilemma.....

I bought 14 deuces with the intentions of using a couple for parts, due to the fact they were all bought WITHOUT a site visit & some looked a little rough from the pics.

Now that they have all arrived at my house, 9 run fine, 1 low batts, 4 who knows....

They all LOOK mechanically sound, and a few are missing very minor items (i.e. gauges, signals, a door, broken windshield, bald tires, etc).

My question is......

Should I try to fix all of them? Or still use 1 or 2 of them for extra parts to save $$$ & then sell whatever I dont need off of them?

*** I plan on buying more....so having a couple parts trucks may be wise ***

Thanks! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

personally with that many i wouuld pick out the 2 worst ones and used them as donor trucks. They will more then pay for themselves as a donor truck and will come in more handy then you would ever think. but thats my 2cents

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking over the trucks I have seen so far, Daniel (I didn't see the most recent few), there wasn't really one I would consider for parts only. The one that didn't run, that was missing more parts than the rest, could be used as a spare parts source for the others, but who knows, in time you might want to customize that one, build a 4x4 bobbed deuce out of it, whatever. The rest of your trucks were real nice. No sense cutting up trucks that are almost complete.

Trust me, there are PLENTY of REAL parts trucks out there, with busted engines, cracked frames, and oodles of rust. I see them at parts yards all the time. If you need parts for your trucks, don't strip down good ones, use junkers for the parts sources.

I would deal with your trucks one at a time. Sell off one, and if it needs a few parts that the worst condition one has, "borrow" the parts to make complete, and sell that good one off. Or, if there is a short list of parts you need to make complete, post the "needs" list here, and I'm sure some of us that have parts trucks WORTHY of that name, would be happy to supply you with whatever you need without cutting up a decent truck.

My two cents. Just sad to see so many good trucks get cut up for scrap, when there ARE trucks worthy of being scrapped.

dm22630

Re: RE: PART OUT A DEUCE--- yes or no?

maddawg308 said:
Looking over the trucks I have seen so far, Daniel (I didn't see the most recent few), there wasn't really one I would consider for parts only. The one that didn't run, that was missing more parts than the rest, could be used as a spare parts source for the others, but who knows, in time you might want to customize that one, build a 4x4 bobbed deuce out of it, whatever. The rest of your trucks were real nice. No sense cutting up trucks that are almost complete.
If you get a chance soon, stop by and take a look...the 4 in the field & the 1 backed into the trees DONT start. The ones backed against the fence do.

Also.....the wood pile is getting HIIIIIIIGH......if you see anything you want, be sure to move it asap! It will be up in flames soon... :mrgreen:

HeadWizard

14? Really?

I thought I had it bad. 8- M35's, 2 M813's, 3-M105's, 1-M101, 1-MEP-003A, 21-Mermites in the last year.

Don't scrap any unless they are terminal. Motor or something like that.

dm22630

HeadWizard said:
14? Really?

I thought I had it bad. 8- M35's, 2 M813's, 3-M105's, 1-M101, 1-MEP-003A, 21-Mermites in the last year.

Don't scrap any unless they are terminal. Motor or something like that.
haha.....yeah.....and I just bought 2 M1009s!

My neighbors are starting to wonder.... rofl

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You own 'em, so I say do whatever you want with them. I've got nothing against parting out a truck or two from time to time. I see the word "scrap" being used a lot in this thread, but that's not how I took the original post? Even if it is the intent, they're your trucks. I agree that it makes the most sense to part out the ones with the problems you don't want to deal with yourself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your choice but I look at them as organ donors. If you need parts, borrow them. When it's all over and done, most of the usable stuff will be used. We are not nearly as destructible as uncle sam is.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Your choice but I look at them as organ donors. If you need parts, borrow them. When it's all over and done, most of the usable stuff will be used. We are not nearly as destructible as uncle sam is.
That is a very good point, Kenny. While it always hurts me to see good trucks parted out, we still do a better job of saving these trucks than Uncle Sam does. Heck, if it wasn't for OUR interest in military vehicles, I guess Uncle wouldn't have many MV museums on their bases at all.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the same boat you are, actually sitting on 14 deuces too :D I have one that does not run and is going to be a parts truck, I've already sold a few things off it and going to use some parts for the other trucks I have. The members on this board are true MV enthusiasts and try to save every truck possible, I planned on parting out all the trucks I got but now I don't have the heart to do that :( , I'd rather sell the truck to someone who can enjoy it than cut them up.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
dm22630 said:
I have a dilemma.....

I bought 14 deuces with the intentions of using a couple for parts, due to the fact they were all bought WITHOUT a site visit & some looked a little rough from the pics.

Now that they have all arrived at my house, 9 run fine, 1 low batts, 4 who knows....

They all LOOK mechanically sound, and a few are missing very minor items (i.e. gauges, signals, a door, broken windshield, bald tires, etc).

My question is......

Should I try to fix all of them? Or still use 1 or 2 of them for extra parts to save $$$ & then sell whatever I dont need off of them?

*** I plan on buying more....so having a couple parts trucks may be wise ***

Thanks! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
looking to sell any trucks whole as runners?? i might be looking to get another truck in better shape so i can make my current truck a 4x4 conversion for fourwheeling

hippiedude

I would be interested in one if you guys wanted to sell one ........ butt it would be to your advantage to have 1or2 parts trucks with that many trucks. 2cents ........But if you got one you would be willing to sell cheap.... :mrgreen: let me know......good luck Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks