• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer tools

FormerNewMVGuy

I see tnj murry (easternsurplus) have the axe's for 45.00 seems a little price'y to me any body know where to find this stuff other than the mattox from frankUSMC?

FrankUSMC

I did not try an Ace store, but went to a Lowes down here. The tools they had were no ware near the military stuff. Good for the 30 foot rule. The mattocks I looked at were on the "thin" side and were made in India. All the shovels had plastic handles, just not right.
I think tomorrow I will dig into my pile of tools and see if I can find the newMVguy an axe. A real axe. A "I'm out of ammo, let me grab the axe", type of axe.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: pioneer tools

FrankUSMC said:
.....the "thin" side and were made in India. All the shovels had plastic handles, just not right....
I have a collection of shovels with broken plastic handles, the plastic breaks down in the sun and is nowhere near as strong as the oldfashion steel plus wood type.
A shovel is very useful when changing tires and would be #1 on my list of pioneer tools.

FrankUSMC

Armada
Sure go ahead.
One of the few, Frank USMC
PS, when I was a young Marine in the grunts, there was this older Marine, who was VERY BIG, looked kinda like the missing ling. He held his postion while being over run in Viet Nam with his e-tool ( the old wooden handle one).
If I was the Viet Cong, and I had a full clip in my AK-47, and I saw this guy with an e-tool swinging away.....I would have run the other way....damm he was big...

Jones

For anyone traveling up in the woods; here's another couple of tools to consider carrying-- A Pulaski and an Indian Fire Pump. They've sure saved my hiney a few times.

Armada

For anyone traveling up in the woods; here's another couple of tools to consider carrying-- A Pulaski and an Indian Fire Pump. They've sure saved my hiney a few times.
I'll bite, Leonard...... I'm afraid to ask, what are they? :)

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: pioneer tools

NewMVGuy said:
I see tnj murry (easternsurplus) have the axe's for 45.00 seems a little price'y to me any body know where to find this stuff other than the mattox from frankUSMC?
If you do some searching on-line, you'll find them. They are out there. But, you will pay about what you have already seen. People want the authentic items, and the price is set for the die-hards. If you want them, you'll pay for them. That's the philosophy. Unless you find a friendly, helpful SS like Frank.

Jetnoise400

Armada said:
I'll bite, Leonard...... I'm afraid to ask, what are they? :)
Here's what Leonard is talking about... A pulaski is a wildland fire axe.. it's got an axe bit on one side, and a grub hoe on the other. You can cut a lot of fireline in a big hurry with one of these!

And the Indian fire pump is a backpack fire pump. We called them "piss pumps" and with your thumb over the end partly blocking the nozzle, you pump the handle like a bike tire pump and water squirts out to put out the fire. Holds about 5 gallons or so, puts out a lot of fire, but gets old having to wear before too long. :D

Attachments

jasonjc

I like the vest type packs better. They wrap around you , hold more water , and keeps you cooler with all the water around you.

Jones

Thanks for the help with the pictures. Couldn't locate them once I'd left the post. Personally I like the metal Indians better. They have a spray or stream nozzle, hold 5 gallons of water, and the metal construction always makes them feel cool to the touch.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm,I'm learnin' something new here everyday! Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks