• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post beach trip maintanence

CanonNinja

Other than the typical wash everything 3 times with fresh water, what else do I need to check for? Hit some salt water crossing a "creek" about 2' deep, so soaking the truck right now with a pair of sprinklers under the truck and just finished soaking everything else I could get. Any seals I need to check on that are especially prone to salt water damage?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find a salt water creek (in Texas)?

M215

Beach driving

I have always wanted to drive one of our deuces on the beach! NC outer banks are only 5-6 hrs away, Knots Island NC is even closer. As a kid / teen we used to drive on a beach in Ohio near Ashtabula called Walnut Beach on Lake Erie. The sand was hard packed and smooth. My first trip to NC outer banks / Hatteras Island on a fishing trip with a 4x4 was a real surprise. The sand was soft, deep and very difficult to drive on. Even with tire pressure reduced to 15 psi we still got stuck several times, the truck really stuggled on the beach (Chevy Colorado 4x4). Makes me think twice about taking 15K lbs. of green iron out there.
Karl

jasonjc

RE: Beach driving

the -10 says to notify your supervisor to service vehicle as soon as possible.

but does not say what service to do. A lube job at leaset.

did you install the plug in the flywheel houseing??

The TM say that you can ford water but it also says not too unless you have too. And if you do take it to the shop.

SierraHotel

RE: Beach driving

The North Carolina northern beaches (above Carolla) are much friendlier and less crowded. ‘Course getting up to them can be a chore. Oregon Inlet isn’t too bad, justr getting to the surf can be challenging, but its fine from there on out. I personally avoid Hatteras Point, its pretty fluffy there. But if you go to the inlet (down by the ferry), its pretty packed.

I’d worry about sand in the bearings as much as salt water. I usually have to replace mine in my suburban every other year. Sort of like sex on the beach, the sand gets into some of the strangest (and uncomfortable) places.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks