• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling an Equipment Trailer

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to find an equipment trailer (or any trailer capable of hauling skid steers/mini-excavators, etc.) to pull behind the deuce. I'm not having much luck finding something less than 12k GVW with air brakes. But I can find them with electric brakes. Can someone who pulls a trailer with electric brakes chime in and point me in the right direction on how to make this happen? I'm handy, but not knowledgeable in this area. I would have no idea how to convert power to 12v to match the trailer or anyway to convert trailer to run on 24v.

I've been looking for a good trailer for about 8 months now and I'm running out of time. I think I would almost prefer electric brakes due to the weak deuce system.

All help is most certainly appreciated.

Eco

Jake0147

Air is air, and the deuce does provide that. I wouldn't worry on that count alone.
Less than 12K? Once you take out the trailer weight, That's only going to leave nine or so in reserve for actual cargo. Are you sure you don't want 12K so you can carry a couple of attachments with the skid steer?
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud since I really don't know what exactly you're working with or looking at. Twelve volt wiring has been done and documented on this site, I've searched but don't find it right of. I'm sure somebody remembers one of the posts regarding the electric brakes. It was a little involved, but not terribly complicated, and for working purposes, a twelve volt trailer supply would probably would be a very practical addition.

No.2Diesel

Usually Tag-alongs with air brakes start at a 10ton rating. You won't find a 6ton trailer with air unless its Mil.

go on:

-Equipment Trader
-Rock & Dirt
-TruckPaper

to find one. They're everywhere. If your just towing a skidsteer than buy a 5-6ton trailer which will have elec brakes and buy an inverter for the brakes & lights.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your state regulations, I would bet you cannot have electric brakes on a trailer with over 10000 lbs and use it commercially. Most air brake trailers will have substantially larger capacity brakes on them then any electric braked trailer will have. I bet my 10 ton trailer(air brakes) has twice the brake shoe surface as all of the deuce brake shoes has, It really stops nice hooked to the deuce.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
If you decide to go with an electric brake trailer. I have a 1992 Hudson 10 ton daul axle,daul wheel trailer for sale for $1800.00, I am located in Delta, Pa. Thats only 45 mins. south of York. JOHN- (410-808-5227)

M215

Electric brakes

Send me a PM and I'll put my notes together on how my 9 ton Eager Beaver is wired to our 5 ton.
Changed all the lights to 24v to keep that part simple. I have a seperate circut for the 12v brake controller and brakes.

Karl

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

trailer for deuce

ecoconstruction,
I saw you post on trailer needs. I have an M353 that I am trying to sell. Set up to accept skids (you can see my flood light skid on it in these pics). I am selling only the trailer for $600. I took the left fender off to start a restoration on it. I've already replaced the front castor tires and left rear spring. Some rust, but nothing significant. It is rated to carry 7000 lbs I believe. This is stout! I also have a new set of data plates for it.
Steve

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

RE: trailer for deuce

I thought I sent this by PM. My mistake. If the moderators want to delete it, please do and accept my apologies for trying to sell stuff in the forum.
Steve

mrgerke81

RE: trailer for deuce

Here is a link to the same question about trailer lights. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25068

The fellow that has the site about converting 24v bus wiring with relays works well. I am in process of wiring relays and wiring harness for 12 volt lights. I have relays all wired and ready to go. I installed them into an outdoor metal electrical box to mount behind seat. It works really well. I am looking to eventully haul a trailer also. I found a brake controller that will hook inline with master cylinder and brake lines to sense "power" to send to electric trailer brakes. I am also looking at installing a power equalizer between batteries so I can pull 12 volts from one battery. Hope this helps some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks