• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pump timing

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you trying to accomplish? It should run just fine with the marks lined up. Some people say they move the Ip a half a line to the Drivers side, to advance the pump timing slightly, to make up for slack(wear) in the drive.

jag7720

New pump installed. The guy at the Stanadyne shop asked me some questions and he said it probably needed to be advanced a bit...

There is no smoke and it idles very low and is sort of a dog. i have not turned it up as per Banks instructions but I will do that tonight.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad lift pump,(and a few other things) will cause your symptoms. Have you tested your fuel pressure, before the IP? You need 2psi minimum. Why did you change your IP to begin with? What was going on then?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rotate the mark on the IP, to the Drivers side to advance the timing. Don't advance it while running(damage can occur). I wouldn't move the lines more than about a 1/16" apart(max)

Was your engine warmed up, and running "doggy"? or was it a cold start(is your cold engine advance funtioning)?

Last edited:

jag7720

Thanks

The Cold advance is working fine and always has. It is acting this way when cold and warm with the new pump.

Last edited:

Barrman

There is a gasket between the pump mount flange and the front of the block. It could be holding the pump from turning. Did some kind of adhesive get applied maybe?

There also is the 8 metal fuel lines screwed into the front of the pump to consider. It is hard to turn it just a bit.

Zero_cool

Thank you Barrman. yes there is something applied to the gasket. I tried turning the pump lightly with a pry bar but it will not budge.
The 8 metal fuel lines shouldn't turn with the pump right?

Barrman

The metal lines are bolted to the pump, so instead of turning with the pump, they will resist any turning you do. However, since you only need to turn it a finger nail width. That is not really enough for the lines to stop you from turning the pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks