• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Really tight steering

shannondeese

Here is my problem. When I turn hard right "full lock or almost there" and then turn back straight the steering is very tight until I hit a few bumps or drive about 150 yards or so. Then it is loose again just like normal. It only does it when I either hit full lock or almost hit it while turning right. I have greased every Zerk fitting and checked all the ball joints in the steering system. I am leaning towards the steering box but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

airmech3839

check tires to see if they might be rubbing? or jack up front end and put it on jackstands and have someone move the steering wheel while you watch the movements...may have something in the way, or could be bad tie rod end or in the pitman arm... could even be the king pin bushing..

My truck ended up getting 2 new tie rod ends when I serviced the axles when I had to beat them out of the arms... It turns alot better now ... I also cleaned the king pins and cleaned out the zerk holes... if you have trash on the zerk when you put grease gun on it it just pushes dirt into the bushing area or on the bolt to be lubed and can foul it up if it is enough trash....

But like I said, start by putting her up on some stands and start trouble shooting... check the travels and listen for and signs of possible trouble... you can then disconnect each wheel from the tie rod and check each wheel seperate to isolate the king pins or if it is the tie rod ends.. I can tell you that I didnt want to replace my tie rod ends but ended up anyway when I damaged them trying to get them apart... $100 bucks each....aua

Post up what you find..

could even be in the steering box...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn full right, disconnect the drag link, and you should be able to tell if it is the steering box.

Tackettr

I think you are on the right track in the steering box. My guess is your are getting the worm gears out of synch or jammed when you go to full- right. It then takes a few bumps to get them back proper. I'm not sure about the deuce but I know other steering boxes have a set screw you can adjust to help this. Or the worm gear could be bad or teeth on the pinion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks