• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear clunking

jag7720

I'm getting a clunking in the rear when I lift off the throttle or coast down hill. I replaced my drive shaft u-joints and it is still happening.

It happens at all speeds and the rate of clunk is hand in hand with the speed of the vehicle.

clunk-clunk ... clunk-clunk ... clunk-clunk like that.

How hard is it to change the bearings on a GM rear end? Are they pressed in?
How likely is it to be a ring and pinion?

Anyone know what might be going on?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have described the "gov bomb"! Your fuse may be lit.

littlebob

Never had a CUCV but I had an older chevy pickup that I was always replacing the drivehaft support bearing on when I tore the rubber out of and made simalar noises. You might also
want to check motor or transmission mounts, they will allow the whole drive train to move and cause interference with the driveshaft. Look for simple stuff before you tear apart
the differntial.
littlebob

jwaller

sounds like excess ring and pinion wear causing the backlash to be out of spec. I bet you also have a loud clunk when going from D to R when stopped? there isn't much to do about it other than replace the ring and pinion.

jag7720

Actually, I get the clunk when going from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway and starting to move forward.

ring and pinion... well crap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks