• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear end problem

I have a 1985 M1028 and i think I have a problem with my rear end, with the cover off wheels raised off the ground if I turn the driver side rear wheel nothing spins ,rotate the other wheel same thing, rotate other direction it locks in and spins the rack and pinon . The rack and pinion has maybe has .015 backlash. If I hold the rack with one hand and try to rotate the wheel there is a ton of backlash . What could this be ? Sometimes it works and some times it dont. Also I think it locks up and dont spin at all . There is no drive shaft connected .

SPECIALTYLC

The No Spin differentials act kinda funny with no load on them. Put a drive shaft in it and place trans in neutral . Rotating one wheel will cause the other to rotate same direction. Place the trans in park and wheels will lock. Then take a hold of one tire and rock it back and forward and you can get that wheel to free spin. This is all normal. There is a diaognostic sheet that comes with new Detroit Lockers that details this better than I can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks