• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding inner windshields?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The passenger side windshield on my deuce is starting to delaminate, getting that cloudy white look on the bottom of the glass, on the inside. No way to fix it, but man, the rest of the inner windshield is primo. No rust, works great, etc.

Is there any company out there that can rebuild the inner windshields with new glass, and keep the metal frame? I'd hate to buy a whole new inner assembly for $175, market value....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES, try to restore/re-glass your own anytime before buying one of those Chin-POS aftermarket replacements! (Save time and money..... lesson learned the hard way....:mad:, detail pics and comparative drawings available....)

It takes common 6mm laminated WS-glass, cut to 684x425mm. Either clean and re-use the original rubber seals or (much better) seal it in place with PU-sealant.

G.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: on the above. It comes apart easily. IIRC, 4 screws, peel the top rail off and then slide the glass out.

saddamsnightmare

April 26th,2010.

Maddawg308:

Take it to any reputable auto glass/house glass shop and they should be able to take it apart and install a new glass for you cheaper then the going EBAY windshield rate. My truck had a crack in the corner of the driver's windshield when I got her from BullDogMack13, and even if she needed inspection, she would have passed. But I don't drive anything with a cracked windshield, so the local Glass guy here, Mr. taylor, did a first class replacement for under $100.00. The only thing you will need to have them use is a lot of silicone gasket lube (if that's what the shop uses) and take care of the old gaskets so they don't tear. :shock:That would be a primo time to replace the windshield glass gaskets if needed, due to age deterioration, and the windshield seal gaskets that go around the three sides of the sash unit to keep the rain out.... All are obtainable from the usual suspects on here.:) Good luck,

jimmcld

I just took mine apart and had some glass cut to fit. Use 1/4" laminated glass and ask them to round the corners for you (helps on install). I also sandblasted and painted the frames while I had them apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks