• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering a Deuce off base

44CCKW

I am planning on buying a duece shop van off of government liquidation.My question is once all the paper work is done I plan on driving the truck home.Can you just go on base and drive off in the duece?Or do you need more paper work,Registration,insurance???

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I bought a 5 ton dump last month in OHIO, Wright- Patterson AFB. Drove it off with no tags,insurance .Drove it home - 500 miles. Got lucky, I guess. John.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked mine up in May on the base and started the trip and realized I forgot to get insurance. Called up my ex-mother-in-law and got the deuce put on my brother's policy for the trip home.

The plates I don't think you need so much but please don't try it without insurance.

The property you save may be your own........in a lawsuit.

jimm1009

Recovering a duece off base

Most states require liability insurance as a minimum.
I would advise EVERYONE getting a 2 or 3 day rider on their regular insurance policy to drive you rtruck home. Generally it is free because they want to buy a policy from them when you are ready.
To get on most bases, you must show proof of insurance, registration, and valid (current) ID.
Driving off is something they usually don't care about but what is some stupid-drunk pulls out or walks out in front of you.
Protect your self!!!! My 1.8 cents worth.

Jim

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Recovering a duece off base

Chack with the GL folks where the shop van is. Some places require the vehicle be towed out of the yard (onto the street) and will not let you drive it out of the yard. Ft. Jackson and Ft. Bragg both operate that way. Better to know in advance! Once you are on the street, your insurance covers the liability. It's generally a Post DRMO rule, not something GL has very much say about, but they know the rules - so ask.

Mackfire68

I used my buddies tandam dump truck and equipment trailer to retrieve my duece from Mechanicsburg. The GL guy there (since I only live 2 miles away) asked why I didn't just drive it home. He said once the paperwork is signed they don't car how you get it off. They even used a fork lift to help me change a flat tire on a trailer. I quess every place has there own rules. Insurance is deffinatly a good idea.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Driving any vehicle...MV or POV without insurance is asking for trouble. You know what you are doing and how you will react...but how about the soccer mom in the minivan.
When I pick up an MV...it's tow it, haul it, or insure it.
Tags....well...sometimes they are optional...but ya didnt hear that here.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it shipped. Who knows what kind of runner it is? I, for one, don't like taking trips in vehicles I know nothing about. The truck should be serviced before it is driven. I agree with the other posts...insurance is the minimum you need. Tags are nice, too.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always trailered mine but I thought when you buy a vehicle you are automatically covered under your best policy for 30 days. That's the way it works here, of course you do need to go get an actual policy on the truck within 30 days.

kurtkds

I asked GL at Ft. Lewis and once the paper work is complete and their paid they don't care if you drive it "off the lot" as long as it gets out of their way.

jwaller

hndrsonj said:
To drive home without ins is plain stupid. :shock:
Ditto. just think what the officer is going to say when you tell him you don't have insurance or a tag. if he doesn't arrest you and impound the truck you will be lucky.

I know driving without insurance around here will get you and your truck locked up and about 1100 in fines plus the tow bill.

also think about the person you might run over in your deuce when the brakes fail on the way home. do you want to lose everything you own in the lawsuit that will be filed against you?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks