• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Suggestions

tgtaylor64

I am headed to GA next week to recover a 1985 M1009 CUCV I purchased. A few weeks ago, I was able to get it started and drive it a few short miles to my Dad's house to await my return. I have decided to trailer it back to SC. It has sat for a long time prior to my purchase and was out of fuel. I put in a Jerry can of diesel and some Powerstroke, charged the batteries and it fired off. When I got it to my Dad's, I was unable to get it to run again. The Water in Fuel light kept coming on and the GPs seemed to not cycle for very long, i.e., less than 3 to 4 seconds. It would turn over strong but not start. I only need to get it started to load on the trailer. I am bringing down fresh batteries and was going to add more fuel, drain the water from the filter, and check the breather element. Any other suggestions?

466Navastar

has anyone ever used the railroad to bring home the MV -after having success ar GL auction?

Ive looked on the internet and havent found what Im looking for

was thinking if you buy something - esp something big would be cheaper on a train to go long distance

the other thing Im comfounded with here is how to make a new thread --just not seeing it-----help?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the forum you want to post in(ie. CUCV forum) Upper left side, directly below the anouncement" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The old site is BACK!!! - I was able to fix the problem for now -

Click on "new thread".

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion would be to bring a really good come-a-long, small eletric winch or a cable and snatch block to drag it up if you can't get it to light off.

Barrman

Are there shackles and pins on the bumpers? That makes tie downs a lot more easy to hook on and not break something on the truck.

Railroad has been suggested and talked about before. Mostly it comes down to vandalism and the fact that you might get a tagged up frame when you go to pick up the truck you drove onto the flat car.

scrambled

I bought one of those 250 dollar winched from 4wheel parts and mounted it to the trailer deck. I toss a battery in the back of the truck and use it to pull the trucks up onto the trailer. By using an axle strap on the front axle, it is a very quick pull. While picking up the 1031's from warner robbins, we averaged 10 minutes from backing up next to the truck to driving out the door.

Travis

ranchhopper

Replace the fuel filter take the pink wire off the IP open the bleeder crank until the fuel comes out the bleeder close the bleeder put the pink wire back on the IP cycle the GPs and see if it will fire up. Diesels are very touchy when it comes to fuel just the slightest bit of water or air in the system can make for a bad day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks