• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redi-Sleave - Transfer case output

CGarbee

Guys,
I'm getting ready to swap out the parking brake drum on a 1983 M35A2C and was wondering if anyone knew the size/part number for a Redi-Sleave that would go on the transfer case output flange that is bolted to the brake drum? Based on prior experience swaping out similar components on other trucks, I'd like to have a sleave in hand when I start work...

Also, does anyone have a part number for the seal on the output of the transfer case (rear, since I want to change it while I'm swapping out the parking brake hardware...).

Thanks.

red devils dude

Transfer Case Seal (input and output) mil# 7521241 Napa # CR Seal PN 23710
you should check the "Parts Cross Reference" on the site more lot's of good stuff in there.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
cr uses the seal number to get the sleave, just tell them the cr seal number and thay will get you the right sleave

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please help me understand the purpose of the "Redi-Sleave"?
If they are referring to what I believe they are, it is a small sleeve that rides on a shaft, providing a new surface for a seal to ride on. A good example is ft. crankshaft snouts, which get grooves in them from the front crank seal. Once a groove is worn in place, a new seal can not do it's job. So you install a small sleeve, which gives the seal a smooth surface in which it can do it's job.

CGarbee

red devils dude said:
Transfer Case Seal (input and output) mil# 7521241 Napa # CR Seal PN 23710
you should check the "Parts Cross Reference" on the site more lot's of good stuff in there.
Thanks for the numbers, I'll be talking to my NAPA buddy this morning. :)

I did check the cross reference list here, but I couldn't figure out what vehicle any of the parts (with the exception of one entry that was marked that it was for 6.2 CUCV engine) fit... I think that an additional column for "application" or "vehicle" would be good. I'd hate to order a seal and sleave and have it turn out to be for a five ton or a HMMWV for instance...

devilman96

It pays to look up the NSN number when you are looking for parts... Which is why the data base is listed first by NSN. This cuts out any confusion on vehicle type and / or descriptions which may greatly vary person to person... One mans muffler bearing is another mans exhaust bushing.

Looking up a TM and going through it can be a pain in the arse but it is a learning process that everyone should jump into... Especially the service and tech manuals... I see so many questions asked here that are printed in black and white already... If your going to own the truck you need to be self sufficient in doing these things.

Not to mention... you do learn a lot about the vehicle in the process.

Also... Many of you guys have additional numbers in your notes or heads for parts that are not listed (especially you CUCV guys)... Please, for the benefit of the hobby and fellow collectors add your PN's to the site and make it a better place for everyone to enjoy.

CGarbee

Devilman, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, and I do have the ability to check NSN's and my collection of TM's, but sometimes, (when I am on a borrowed computer away from home) it is easier to just ask...

Whereas the parts cross list here looks like it is primarily one for M35's, when the parts cross file gets larger, I'd hate to have to look up NSN's for a dozen different "upper radiator hoses" in order to find the one for a M38 instead of just verifying the NSN of a listing that had "M38" in it.

mangus580

Cabell, I understand what you mean on this. I purposly had not put the 'vehicles applicable' in this though, because I didnt think it would work as intended. I used this type of entry on the TM section, and it proves to be a PITA. The mod's have to modify just about every entry. The goal behind the xref was that you would have the NSN in hand before you even hit the Xref. Not the other way around.

Hope this helps in understanding whyt it is this way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not done much mettling in the cross reference but you guys got me cuious. I see some of them have pics now too. I'll try to toss some time over there to see if I can do anything with it.

lavarok

I hate to revive old threads, but where can the "cross reference" be found these days?

If anyone has a copy, I'd be grateful for it. I have only seen the filter and gasket cross reference material.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks