• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resisitor bypass Questions

shortydooo222

Can anyone please give me a step by step on how to do this. i fried my glow plugs about a week ago and have decided to do the bypass. i Literally just came in from installing a St85 relay and all 8 ac60g glow plugs. i have it wired all stock. can anyone please provide pictures of how to do this because i have seen two different ways one where you run battery cable straight from battery one to the relay. The second is you just cut the red wire and place a new connector and attach it to the terminal on the firewall. the second one is what im interested in. Please provide pictures

kabar1

Can anyone please give me a step by step on how to do this. i fried my glow plugs about a week ago and have decided to do the bypass. i Literally just came in from installing a St85 relay and all 8 ac60g glow plugs. i have it wired all stock. can anyone please provide pictures of how to do this because i have seen two different ways one where you run battery cable straight from battery one to the relay. The second is you just cut the red wire and place a new connector and attach it to the terminal on the firewall. the second one is what im interested in. Please provide pictures
Doghead has a good one I believe I found it by searching resistor bypass regulator.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog is about to post a sticky for this(soon).

You have it correct.

Lot's of threads on this. I'll look for one with a good picture.

Larch

Is there an advantage(or disadvantage) to doing the bypass one way or the other? I will be doing it soon on another truck. Thanks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The advantage is, one glow plug can burn out(and they do) without causing the rest of them to burn out.

The down side(if you think it is) that you will not be able to slave start the truck if the front battery is open celled(or will not take any charge). As the Glow plugs can't get 12v off the front battery in that particular situation. Of course, if the front battery was just low, it should work just fine still.

In a non-combat(civilian situation), I can't see where that is a real concern.

Last edited:

Larch

Thanks for the reply. I understand the advantage of the resister bypass. I was asking if there is an advantage to do it one way or another. (ex. running from the front battery(+) to the glow plug relay vs. running a wire from the glow plug relay to the 12 volt bus? Is there an advantage to do it one way vs the other? Or doesn't it matter. Thanks again.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost. It cost less than a dollar to cut the existing red wire(on the d/s) coming out of the resistor bank, and crimping on a 1/4" ring terminal.

It will cost you $10-20 to buy a battery cable. Also, you will need to replace the stock battery terminal bolt with a longer bolt.

I personally make a new 6" long wire with new ring terminals on each end and leave the stock wire covered in tape(just in case I or the next owner wants to return it to stock configuration).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did you say that to begin with? I read it the same as DH did. ;-)

Doesn't really matter. The cost for 5' of wire is greater the 6". Also connecting to the front battery is a little more difficult.

Larch

Thanks for you replys. The reason I asked, I saw a picture where someone used a piece of wire with a fuseable link (from the resistor). Is there any advantage to use that, other than you have it? When I did the bypass on my other truck, I used the positive cable from the removed slave.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running a wire from the battery you should add a fusible link. The 12v terminal already has one.