• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seeking HomeDepot Color Close To OEF Desert Tan

Bonden

Hi All! I don’t have a military vehicle :-(, but just a cargo trailer that needs paint. Spent a year over in the sandbox in '02 and '03 as a contractor in both OEF and OIF in close support of the Army.

I thought Desert Tan would be a good compromise between "look-at-me-I'm-a-big-trailer" white, and "I'm-not-so-noticeable-but-I'm-really-hot-in-the-summer" OD green. Kinda going for a low-key look.

Picked a color off a chart at Home Depot last night that seemed about right, then had a gallon of acrylic floor enamel (frugal man's trailer paint) mixed up. What a fiasco! I put some on and its just a shade on the tan side of "piggy pink". After searching on the web its clear I need help, and hopefully have found it here.

Is there a standard color from the standard charts at Home Depot, or a spray paint from there I could have matched, that's a pretty-good, close-enough match to the Desert Tan of OEF and OIF? It doesn’t have to be exact - anything recommended here would have to be better than what I have now. I'd order something online to get a real match, but am hoping to finish up the paint tomorrow for a weekend trip - especially want to hide the part I just painted...

All input appreciated.

Cool site! I've already spent way too much time checking out the treasures here. Gotta get back to work.

Pinz25086

Give this formula to the paint desk at Home Depot. It is real close to the current tan that was on my M101A2. Used it to paint the wooden side boards and they turned out great.

Use BEHR Ultra Flat Base
Pastel Base (4855/2-4855)
Gallon Size

Colorant OZ 48 96
C Yellow Oxide 5 17 0
E Thalo Blue 0 43 1
F Red Oxide 0 16 0

Wayne

Bonden

Oh, man! Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping for - off to the store...

Had to look up M101A2 to know what one is - nice trailer! Do they sell these vehicles off before they're totally worn out or do most need major work?

Pinz25086

I bought mine from Citizen Soldier in MI about 4 years ago. It was in great shape. Since then I have seen many just as nice being sold off on GL. Look around and you can get a nice one for a good price. They are (in my opinion) the best trailer for a pick up that I have ever found. Plenty of room and tough as nails. The A2 and A3 have surge brakes that work very well. Post some pictures after you paint your project.

Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks