• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Separ 2000 Fuel Filter

Hi together,

I think about adding a water- and dirt separating fuelfilter to the deuces fuel-delivery system and came across this product:

http://www.separ.com/separ/about2000.htm

One of the benefits of this system is the good filtergrade ( 2 to 30 microns ) and the claimed unsurpassed ability to filter water particles. I also think the the transparent bowl is a positive thing to have because you can make a visual check.
A heated version also exists, for vegetable-oil users or or very low temp applications.

Two things about the filter that strike me are that it is stated that it's recommended to be placed on the vacuum-side of the fuelsystem (in front of the pump) which is a problem when you want to keep the stock pump, and that they say it is for "light diesel" oil. I wonder what happens when I have something with a heavier viscosity in the tank (its a multifueler after all...). I alreday contacted the company who produces these filters, but I just would like to know what you guys think of this.

Cheers,
Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's a good idea, I'm installing this Racor filter in the XM757, which will have a dual heated fuel tank system when done.
Don't see any problem with an in-tank pump pushing the fuel as opposed to "sucking" the fuel through it.

The Racor model is 1000FG. BTW, the filter elements are water repellent and they stink (chemical).

Attachments

Bill W

Separ started out by making Knockoffs of Racors. On their newer series the filter element is very small and clogs very fast, they claim you can backflush it but they only recommend that on the 30 micron element not the finer ones. Also the housing on their filter elements were zinc plated which is a no no for diesel engines though I was told they did stop using that ( scarey!). A Racor 1000 series has about 5 times more filtering media then a Separ. MTU started using Separs on their marine engines ( Germans stick together ) but they have since stopped because the Separs clog so fast from having such a small filter element. Separs have a higher flow rate than a Racor but not a higher filtration rate but for any military truck application a 1000 turbine series or even a 900 turbine series Racor is plenty. I also like the Racor spin on series too.
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=392

cbvet

What flow rate is required for the Deuce multifuel? I'm getting a lot of drain oil with water (condensation) in it & am thinking of adding a Racor or similar filter mounted on the deuce as a precaution.
Thanks,
Eric

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cbvet said:
What flow rate is required for the Deuce multifuel? I'm getting a lot of drain oil with water (condensation) in it & am thinking of adding a Racor or similar filter mounted on the deuce as a precaution.
Thanks,
Eric
Based on the return flow to the tank (about 2 to 3 qts/min) and the rate of fuel used at full power (about 62 lb/hr from the TM), the flow rate through the filters is about 50 gallons/hour.

If you suspect water in the fuel, let it sit in a barrel for a week or so and don't use the bottom portion, oil floats.

Note: The primary fuel filter on the deuce is also a water separator. Drain it often.

That Racor unit looks mighty big! Where do you plan to install it, if I may ask?

@will b:

interesting background information, thanks! As for
(quote) Germans stick together
--> Hehe, not me, I have a pragmatic approach!

Mark

Bill W

The Racor 1000 tubine filter w/30 micron filter has a 3.16 gpm flow rate filtering diesel fuel .
Mark no insult inteneded on my remark , my German ancester ( Johann Winchenbach ) moved here in 1754 then they changed the last name to something easier to pronouce "Wincapaw"...????..yep.. :?

Bjorn,

neat installation! And a great project, the XM757! Thanks for the info.
I think the data speaks clearly for the Racor unit, although it is really large and hard to position conveniently on the deuce. I'll see if I can find one over here...

@ WillB: no worries, I was just joking ;-)
No wonder your ancestors wanted to change their surname, because the German pronounciation of the "ch" doesn't exist in english at all and is one of the greater challenges for a native english speaker when learning german! It is usually mispronounced as "k" or "sh". And in Winchenbach you have two different versions of it :)

Regards,
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks