• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously, kerosene heater under hood?

I see some old timers used kerosene heaters under their hoods on really cold nights. I'm thinking the same might a feasible answer to my problem, and one I can afford. If I insulate the engine compartment with that fiber, aluminum faced insulation, make a tarp type front bra, and keep the little heater clear of anything combustible, maybe even put it in it's own vented double wall steel box, ie. a large ammo can sans rubber seal, seems like it would work. What think?

Nah, ebay has two for about 15 bucks shipped. Found some online directions, looks like a pia, so looking into the radiant catalyst propane. I worry a bit about starting a generator on a cold night to be able to start my truck. I'm thinking low tech. A match light heater, a heavy canvas tarp over the hood and radiator. Should only need it a few times a year, when it's that cold and I'm away from electric. It'll be good for family camping. Seems a viable idea. The generator would be great for a lot of other stuff, but we already have an old 5000 watt one, bought used from a carny, ie. very used, but ready to power the house in case of ice storm etc.

Jones

A flame-based heat source is going to have some safety considerations; CO build-up can carry into inhabited areas if conditions are right, fire hazard if too close to combustables.
I'd probably think in terms of an enclosure for the heater and forced induction of the hot air to the area you want to heat, something along the lines of the flexible HVAC stuff.

Short of that, a block heater is the set-up that seems to be pretty widely accepted.

If you want to heat everything; engine coolant, cab, batteries-- how about a Eberspacher Swingfire heater set-up? aka Artic Kit. Those babies can be used to heat entire comm shelters so they definately put out the heat.

JohnnyReb

Not that I recommend it, but some of the old timers here would build a small fire under the oil pan to heat the engine and oil.

I have had good luck with burning a 100 watt bulb on an extension cord all night. It has made the difference in starting and not..... Also have used it on equipment that we were not sure about the antifreeze.

MuddWeiser

Im really interested in any ideas too...

I live in the mountains. Right now it is SNOWING! (finally) and its about 15degrees F outside.

I have to work 10hr shifts and when I leave my car out it just DOESN'T like starting (it always starts but not easily/comfortably)...

I usually have to cycle the glow plugs about 2 or 3 times (and yes, they all work -- passed the ohm test )... Its just THAT cold up here...

Wondering what kind of setup I could get where I could park it in the outside parking lot where it gets covered in 2feet of snow sitting for 10hrs and then hop in and it be toasty warm WITHOUT the use of electricity.

What are the "ARCTIC KITS" I see people refer to --- and how do they work exactly?

randyscycle

If no electricity and portability are your requirements, I'd say a catalyst LP heater like the Mr Heater Heat Buddy thing might be the best bet.

At least there isn't any open flame in the sense of an exposed one, they are pretty clean, and fairly efficient too. One under the hood and one in the cab maybe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks