• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Cable Install ?

dabtl

Got the two pin slave cables.

How are they hooked up to the batteries? I could not find a TM section on them. Of course my search was limited and it is easier to ask the experts here. :D

halftrack

Are you talking about slave cables themselves or what the cables plug into on the vehicle? If you are talking about installing the slave cable plug itself then the negative is grounded to vehicle frame and the positive lead is connected to the positive terminal on the last battery in the series.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,Short wire goes to a grounded bolt in the cab and the long cable goes though a hole in the floor(clean the dirt,rust,sludge off the rear corner and you wil find it,hit it with a screwdriver and hammer to pop it out) and to the front batteries positive terminal.

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,that ain't gonna happen Craneboy.Atleast not with teh deuce kit I have.The Ground lead is only like 12" long.Barely makes it to the floor.I Grounded out to the body.Yea,Another item designed by an idiot built by a moron.

dabtl

OK, I kind of thought that was the way to install it. But, why buy a lot of parts that were working when you begin because you did not ask how not to screw it up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
Well,that ain't gonna happen Craneboy.Atleast not with teh deuce kit I have.The Ground lead is only like 12" long.Barely makes it to the floor.I Grounded out to the body.Yea,Another item designed by an idiot built by a moron.
You probably have the wrong slave connector/recepticle/cables, both cables are 32-1/2 inches long for the M35 (fig 333 in the -20P)....craneboy, huh!
Kind of funny actually.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dabtl said:
OK, I kind of thought that was the way to install it. But, why buy a lot of parts that were working when you begin because you did not ask how not to screw it up.
Something about the multitude of things to make you wise.

jasonjc

FT are you shure it's for the deuce?? Those plugs are used on just about evrey thing in the military. On all my trucks the ground goes down to the frame.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,the seller stated it was for a M35A2 blaa blaa blaa.I know it fit like a glove when I yanked that cover plate and the hot lead is just long enough to reach.

rmgill

Why not get a longer cable and attach it to the slave plug so you can run it to the batteries? Or you could get a shorter cable and run that down to the frame to get a better connection to the bolt connecting to the ground lead you attached to the cab sheet metal. That'd give you an additional grounding path over the one that runs from the engine to the cab sheet metal and then back to the frame.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
Why not get a longer cable and attach it to the slave plug so you can run it to the batteries? Or you could get a shorter cable and run that down to the frame to get a better connection to the bolt connecting to the ground lead you attached to the cab sheet metal. That'd give you an additional grounding path over the one that runs from the engine to the cab sheet metal and then back to the frame.
Ideally, each device should have its own dedicated (ground strap) ground return.
The frame is then connected to the batteries.
The starter motor/engine is connected to the batteries.
The cab is connected to the batteries.
The instrument panel has its own ground return to the batteries and the panel itself is insulated from the cab.
The best place to connect an external battery (slave cable) is to the vehicle batteries, since it then serves all devices connected to them.

Again, the 757 is wired this way......

Many add-on devices, like the VIC-1, fuel burning heater, headlights, BO head light etc have grounds that rely on the wiring, not the case, which makes it possible to adhere to the above convention.

dabtl

Don't forget to put the grommets in the floor holes.

The actual measure is 1-1/2 diameter with a groove diameter of 1-1/4.

I could not find any other than at O'Reilly, where in frustration I bought a generically labeled GM PCV Valve grommet # 42061. Perfect fit! :D You will know it when you see it is all I can say. I used some white lithium grease to ease the wires through the hole in the center.

sermis

cranetruck said:
FreightTrain said:
You probably have the wrong slave connector/recepticle/cables, both cables are 32-1/2 inches long for the M35 (fig 333 in the -20P)....craneboy, huh!
Kind of funny actually.
Mine has one long and one short cable. Short one is grounded to one of the bolts on the plug. I have a couple others that are the same way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
mine has one long and one short, one is connected to the- the other to the +

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sermis said:
....Short one is grounded to one of the bolts on the plug. I have a couple others that are the same way.
That's not correct, even a connection to the cab would be questionable. You want a solid path to the start motor ground connection.

There are butt splice connectors available to lengthen the cables, some are crimped some are soldered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks