• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for Shackles?

spenceronehalf

Anyone have a source for front shackles that hang down like in the pic? I've been trying to make some 6.5 ton shackles work but they lay horizontal and look kinda dumb.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 7.58.41 PM.png

Reactions: HDN

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are too different styles of shackles. The one one the left looks like pre 1960. You should post in the parts wanted. I think I have like 10 sets with pins
Same type, most likely different mfgr. Early ones had a round ring, later are what are pictured.

Eastern Surplus has the old style with pins. And they are close to you!

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 bucks for one though is kind of ridiculous.
No, not really. That price is right in line with the price of a 3/4 pin shackle meant for off road use. A 3/4 pin, 4.5ton capacity shackle for lifting is around 50 bucks on the low side.

So, for a vehicle specific shackle with the correct pin and tethered clip, 30 bucks is pretty reasonable.

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s still expensive for one part. There has got to be some used ones around I can source. I’ll just going to have to keep looking.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think those are rears. The fronts have an offset so they lay flat. Still work
This is correct, as in the rears are not offset. The ones in the pic from post 13 are normal lifting or off road shackles. Remember kids, the ones that came on these trucks were non thread in pins, securing clip tethered to the pin like the image the OP posted, the link I posted or the images @country posted.

The above type of shackle can purchased from the "A" for around $15 bucks, there are no correct type for the front anywhere but at a vendor, a junk yard that does MV's or thru a private seller here or on another forum.

Something to think about, IF the screw in pin type are used in the rear, those pins will vibrate out when driving unless they are tightened, can't tell you how many pins I have found sans shackle, vice-versa and pin/shackles I find out in the nowheres of the Ca desert from the pins not being tight. When they are inside the bumperette, it is difficult to get them tight or remove them.

But that matters only if you need them.

Last edited:

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is correct, as in the rears are not offset. The ones in the pic from post 13 are normal lifting or off road shackles. Remember kids, the ones that came on these trucks were non thread in pins, securing clip tethered to the pin like the image the OP posted, the link I posted or the images @country posted.

The above type of shackle can purchased from the "A" for around $15 bucks, there are no correct type for the front anywhere but at a vendor, a junk yard that does MV's or thru a private seller here or on another forum.

Something to think about, IF the screw in pin type are used in the rear, those pins will vibrate out when driving unless they are tightened, can't tell you how many pins I have found sans shackle, vice-versa and pin/shackles I find out in the nowheres of the Ca desert from the pins not being tight. When they are inside the bumperette, it is difficult to get them tight or remove them.

But that matters only if you need them.
Yeah I knew they weren’t the correct ones, but I wanted shackles to work with and refuse to pay 30-40$ for just one. These are functional, have the capacity I want, and the only people who won’t like them are either perfectionists or don’t matter because it’s not their truck! 😂

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks