• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Cables Breaking

CivilEGR

I've replaced 2 speedometer cables on my truck, and soon to be a third. They keep getting blown up at the connection with the transmission. Any idea on what may be causing this?

glcaines

Make certain that the cable isn't bent at a large angle at that spot. And as Jeepadict mentioned, make sure the gears are greased. Also, make sure the cable itself is lubricated.

Barrman

Is the cable actually breaking or the square end getting rounded smooth?

I had success on one of mine by wrapping the square end with a single layer of aluminum foil. That tightened the slop up enough that I don’t remember which truck that was all these years later. Still working good which ever truck it is.

CivilEGR

It's happening right at the transfer case. The little square bit is fine, but the wire coils up and snaps just on top of the square bit. There looks like there's plenty of grease in there, and there aren't any tight turns. I might pick up a new plastic gear (44 teeth?) with the next cable.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are putting a new cable in the old housing there is probably a blob of old grease that still allows the new cable to slide into place. But when it is rotating the hardened blob of grease binds up the new cable and it will snap. I have seen it break the square ends as well. Clean the inside of the old housing with brake cleaner and blow it out really good. Then grease the new cable really good and install. Hope this helps!

Don-T

When you install a new cable, try spinning it by hand before installing the transfer case end. When you do, does it spin easy, does the speedometer move?

cucvrus

I think something upstream from the transfer case is binding and locking the cable. Have you ever heard of a speedometer rebuilder? We have 1 locally and I had my old rusty faced speedometer from the mule M1009 rebuilt and it was smooth ever after. It would bounce and squeal before I had it rebuilt. Good Luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks