• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stainless steel coils for WVO or ethanol production

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I got these stainless steel coils off GL last week and in my mind they would make great heat exchangers to put in a auxillary tank WVO system.
They could also be used as a worm on a still..........err as part of an ethanol producing device. :wink:
They are approx 1 inch in diameter with a stainless steel union on one end and a stainless elbow on the other.
You don't even want to know what the gooberment paid for these. :shock:
Price is $45.00 plus shipping.
I will have some of them at the Mobile, AL show next weekend (28-29 March).
PM for order info since I can take Paypal through a friend.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless isn't a very good heat conductor. I guess they would make a heat exchanger but would be nowhere near as good as copper or aluminum.
I'd take it to a scrap yard and have them shoot it with their gun to tell what alloy it is. Some high heat stainless alloys will bring as much as $9.00 a pound.

wdbtchr

We used a lot of SS in heat exchangers in the Chem Industry mainly due to corrosion, they work good. I am curious what alloy they are, and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wdbtchr said:
We used a lot of SS in heat exchangers in the Chem Industry mainly due to corrosion, they work good. I am curious what alloy they are, and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.
You're right. Most of the time you see SS used it's either a corrosive enviroment or high heat.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wdbtchr said:
......and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.
Actually, no, a spiral can be "screwed" into the tank thru a smaller opening.
You will need extra hole(s) for your hands to move the coil around and to complete the connections, though. I did this for the 10" inch dia copper coil in my deuce (and 8x8) fuel tank. Used 4" openings easily cut with a holesaw.
Images show how coil was installed via fuel pump opening.
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2905&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893 said:
They could also be used as a worm on a still..........err as part of an ethanol producing device. :wink: .......
Hmm...I have a vintage "pot still" for sale if someone is interested....copper kettle tubing and cooling tank.....PM if interested....

Attachments