• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter for 6.2

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on if you have the old style direct drive (fat housing) or the newer style grear reduction (skinny housing).

The newer 24v gear reductions can be bought of fleabay for $100 or so. The direct drive will need to be rebuilt.

Make sure you install the support bracket for which ever starter you use.

Attachments

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

Depends on if you have the old style direct drive (fat housing) or the newer style grear reduction (skinny housing).

The newer 24v gear reductions can be bought of fleabay for $100 or so. The direct drive will need to be rebuilt.

Make sure you install the support bracket for which ever starter you use.
[FONT=&quot]They both work on all 6.2’s don’t they? Or are they for specific years. [/FONT]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot]They both work on all 6.2’s don’t they? Or are they for specific years. [/FONT]

GM quit making the direct drive and went with the gear reduction.

Either will fit the 6.2 but you will need to check the clearence of the starter bendix with the flywheel. Some blocks require a starter shim.

SGT Estum

If you're interested in form over function, go rebuild. If you just want it to start and don't care, get a cheap starter off of ebay. But make sure to install the correct support bracket like warthog said.

I just rebuilt one. By most accounts here, I paid way too much. Either way, I'm very pleased with it.