• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strata blue over CARC??

Westech

CPL
yes you can but it will look like SHI7! Strata Blue is a color that needs a flat surface. If you paint over CARC its going to look all fish eyes and like crap. You really need to sand her all down flat.. two layers of Automotive filler primer and then shoot your color.

DAP

I had my M37 sandblasted to bare metal and then Coral primed and painted dark blue Imron. Best way to go.

RealCavDog

Another question that might add to the information needed would be if the carc is the newer style water based formula or not ? May have some interaction on any material used to try and cover !

I agree with DAP and Ryan77 that a full strip may be the best way to eliminate any problems in the future.

Hate to see you have to do it over !

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say scuff the carc and lay down a couple coats of high build primer, block it down, apply a coat of sealer and spray your strata blue.

Obviously stripping down to bare metal is best for any overall paint job. but these are military trucks not show cars.

Nonotagain

I say scuff the carc and lay down a couple coats of high build primer, block it down, apply a coat of sealer and spray your strata blue.

Obviously stripping down to bare metal is best for any overall paint job. but these are military trucks not show cars.
Depending on how many times the truck has been repainted and the overall condition of the paint, there is no way that I'd build up the thickness of the paint any higher than it already is. Thick paint (.010" or thicker) is subject to cracking.

Sand the CARC down to get a uniform flat surface, (180-220 grit sand paper) solvent wipe and shoot a light coat of epoxy primer, the topcoat with the Strata Blue.

As for the possibility of the truck having been painted with waterborne CARC and over coating it causing a reaction, not a chance. Once the CARC is cured it's chemically inert from solvent attack.

DAP

This was my problem with Big Blue. I counted 2 shades of fire engine red, 4 of OD plus 2 of primer. The paint was on so thick that it was cracking. I started to abraid it off and found cracks going down to the primer. Only way was to sandblast. Once you snadblast to bare metal you might as well spend the money for high quality paint. Corlar epoxy primer allows you to prime and let sit indefinitly until you have enough to paint. I disassembled M37 one part at a time and reworked each as I had time. When I had more than enough to paint I could top coat and shoot out the entire gun so there was no waste. Yes I took 7 years to do my rebuild but that is what makes this fun. Why Blue Imron? My wife picked the color and it is close to strata blue. Imron is very flexible (resists rock chipping) and stays high gloss (no waxing). It turns out now that I am working on another M37 that I will paint mid 50s Marine Corp green that I got it matched by Dupont. Later I found out I could have gotten it semi gloss or even flat if I wanted it. That is OK I like the gloss. I matched the sprayed Imron up to some off of the truck that was oringinal and never saw light and other than the gloss it was a dead on match. By the way this latest truck is my 20 year rebuild project. Since I drive Big BLue I don't need this one so I am enjoying taking my time.

zout

Gotta put my vote in to get it down to metal and do it right from the beginning without adding anything to the now piled up paint surface.

You might find at the surface you have some issues ready to rear their ugly head at you if the foundation is not correct.

CARC characteristics is not to have anything "stick" to the surface itself to begin with. Sanding this down is a health issue that requires top notch equipment and not common dust masks.

Whichever way you choose send some pics in - its like that ole Indiana Jones movie "Choose Wisely".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks