• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sudden shutdown - cause?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2C running like a champ. Upgraded primary and secondary fuel filters as of this spring, in-tank pump working, fuel level over 1/4 full.

Situation: driving on country road, no issues, engine warm. Shifting back before doing a right turn. Stepping on clutch, engine dies. Coast to a stop at side of the road after the turn. Will not restart and sounds out of fuel. What I mean by that is that there were no "warning signs' such as power loss, a strange sound, etc. The engine died the same way as shutting off the fuel. When cranking, it did not attempt to fire, as if there was no fuel.

Shutoff pull is pushed all the way in and locked with accessory switch arm.

Visual inspection of IP and area reveals nothing. Shutoff pluner moves freely and is all the way out. In-tank pump humming.

For lack of clue, play with shutoff a bit, move it back and forth. After that, engine restarts and runs with no further issues.

I do not know what the cause could have been. does that sound familiar to anyone? Anything I should check, specifically?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've experienced the same issue with a truck that has a worn out hydraulic head.

Your in tank fuel hose could be collapsing or split. Or your pump screen may be plugged up.

Next time it stalls, get out and open the bleeder on top of the secondary filters and see if you have fuel there.(or install a gauge there)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had the rubber hose on the intank fuel pump come off. Pump ran fine but was pumping fuel back into the tank.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty, then...I won't touch the HH at this time, but I will check the in tank fuel pump for split/missing hose and clogging.
Good time, as the fuel level is low.

hoop

I hope it was just your "Guardian Angel". One never knows what is just ahead.

aspann

About the same thing happened to me. I was going down a paved highway and pulled off to tie down a loose line on the cover. When I pulled off the road, it was somewhat bumpy. The motor shut down as if it were turned off. I looked at all the gages and hit the starter button and it fired up. Haven't had anymore problems. Don't know what the problem was.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope it was just your "Guardian Angel". One never knows what is just ahead.
Funny, that. While I was troubleshooting, an older gentleman stopped and helped me. I learned from him that there is a substantial biodiesel manufacturing place just down the road.....and I would never have known! I have been waiting for a local supplier for a while now.

Biodiesel, here I come.

dittle

Be prepared to start changing filters like crazy if you put bio-diesel in your truck. After 3 sets or so you should be good.....thats how much crap is going to come off the inside of the tank/lines.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Did we ever find out if it was the HH or the intank hose? And what is the correct "R" number of that intank hose? I need to replace mine. It's kind of melted through the hose clamps.

Chuck76

what is being refered t as the hydrlic head?

my fuse pooped for the elec pump, replaced it, and now she wont fire on anything...gas or ether. Geting fuel through the IP, and to all injectors...

kennys@wi.rr.com

The HH is the part on top of the IP that all the injector lines come out of. Check your fuse again. Working on a truck now that the electric pump is fried. Discovered this because the fuses would pop as soon as you turned on the power. New external pump has been ordered and that should solve his problem. Let me know if that's the case and I will get you the info on the external pump.

Chuck76

shoot me the info on the external pump.

I bought this deuce as a learning tool / project truck. Just didnt know the learning curve would be so steap!

the buddah

well maybe some one can advise me on the location of the prim fuel filter location as well as the second i have an A3 this is mt 1st crack at this and i have the filters now i need the location thanks:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well maybe some one can advise me on the location of the prim fuel filter location as well as the second i have an A3 this is mt 1st crack at this and i have the filters now i need the location thanks:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Your operators manuals will be a great place to start for finding the locations of all the equipment on your truck. They will even tell you how to change the filters.

I don't have an A3 so I can't point you in the right direction.

The A2 primary is under the alternator.

*** EDIT ***

Just checked the TM and the A3 only has one filter and water separater.

Your TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1 would be a great place to start.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks