• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a winch

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How hard is it to swap a winch from one deuce to another. Both trucks are complete runners I just want the winch on a different one. I am pretty mechanically inclined and am curious how big of a project it is. Looks like a "simple" bolt on, but I'd like to hear from those who have actually done it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
easy to do, just alot of nuts/bolts to do it. If you have access to "heavy lift" (forklift/overhead lift) you can try and unbolt the extensions with winch/bumper installed, and put the whole assembly on the other truck after you remove it's bumper. One good weekend worth of work at the most with the right tools. or perhaps a long days worth if you find a buddy to assist.

Prep is key. Coat all the nuts/bolts with your favorite rust buster (WD-40/PB Blaster/etc) and let it soak in for a few days to facilitate wrenching.

You will need new 3 PTO gaskets. one for the tranny/PTO seal, one for the PTO's inspection plate so you can check for "click click" (backlash) on the PTO gears so the PTO doesnt destroy the tranny, and one for the inspection plate for the donor truck.

Also, check the PTO shaft seals for leaks. When it is out of the truck is the perfect time to replace them if needed.
Dont forget the 80/90 oil to put into the tranny's.

Not a hard job, just a bit of PITA because just about every bolt you need to work on is 3/4 inch. Air tools will help alot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done them in all stages. If you can knock it free, it can be swapped all at once. When I removed the winch from the old cargo and put it on the tractor, I just unbolted the shaft and frame extensions and took it all off together with the bumper. Heavy and bulky but dooable.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I understand, a piece of plywood in front of the radiator is mandatory before you start swinging a winch in front of it.

rizzo

maddawg308 said:
From what I understand, a piece of plywood in front of the radiator is mandatory before you start swinging a winch in front of it.
I was able to do without, but it is certainly a good idea.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost of a piece of plywood to protect the radiator: $30
Cost of a new radiator when you put the winch thru yours because you didnt use the plywood: $700

Go with the piece of plywood...

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
put some thin plywood thats been cut to the shape of the radiator in the radiator while your fitting the winch. i didnt do this and i jammed the bar on the back of the winch in to the radiator and it cost me a bunch of money to replace the radiator cause the brass was to frail to fix.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Masonite works great, it's think but hard enough. As far as the gasser shaft, it can be made to work, let me know if anyone needs directions. I have 2 extra gasser shafts here too.

kipman

My brother and I took a winch off one truck and reinstalled on my truck, worked good, the only problem was the yokes on the driveshaft were assbackwards, it rubbed on the bellhousing. Got the yokes the correct way and all is good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks