• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying a deuce

pcbowman

I am new to this forum but I am thinking of buying a deuce for a year round youth camp that my wife and I are going to run. I had some questions for all of you deuce experts. I want to use the vehicle to transport youth down forest service roads into the backcountry for backpacking, rock climbing, and river rafting in the High Sierras. Here are my questions:

Once the vehicle is up and running solid, are they reliable enough to use in this fashion?

Locally, there are several deuces for sale from Iron Mike that have been titled with the DMV, one is a gasser, and would you recommend a gasser? From the forum it seems that parts are hard to find for the gasser.

Can you re-route the exhaust for the diesels so passengers do not suck in the fumes while driving?

Can passengers ride in the back on the highway? As anyone had problems with Highway Patrol?

Does anyone know of Deuces being used in the states for tours?

Does anyone know of anyone that lives in the Los Angeles area that I could pay to go with me and look at the vehicle I am looking to purchase and provide me with their feedback on their running conditions?

I am very excited about the opportunity of owning a deuce and think it fits the desired application perfect. I also think it would be great for the youth to be able to ride in a US Military Vehicle and hopefully inspire them to stand behind our troops for the protection that is provided to them.

Please let me know your thoughts.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have ridden in dueces in the Army and a set of earplugs is all you need in the back and technally with troop seats and a strap you should be alright since it is a part of the truck with installed seats. I love my deuce and it is a multifuel although it runs on diesel only right now. Home heating oil will also work but only on private property. I think it is the perfect vehicle for what you are looking for. But of course that is my 2 cents Take a look in the photo gallery of all the great trucks members have and love

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
A gas-powered M35 has very, very little engine noise when compared to its Multifuel brothers. All these trucks have a lot of gear noise at highway speeds.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

mangus580

I think one major issue you will have is the state of CA. I know that being a 3 axle truck causes some grief right off the bat. What is the age range of the kids you will have in the back? How do seatbelt laws work in CA?

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Hey brother, they are great for that. Recently, my wife and I were up at The Cove in Asheville, North Carolina (Billy Graham's place) They run a pretty big youth camp on the back side of the property and we drove over to check it out. As we were motoring along minding our own business, I kept hearing this deafing roar getting louder and louder. We are on this gravel road going thru the middle of nowhere when I look in the rear view mirror and am face to face with a Deuce grille. I pull over and let him go by and it's loaded with camp kids. We followed it around to the camp and they had a fleet of them they use to transport kids with. They were using the original fold down seating and had welded in a set of bed length padded roll bars. The kids loved it! They said the deuce ride was fantastic!
You can probably e-mail The Cove and they can send you some pics. God by with you on your adventure.

pcbowman

They will be 13 and older. In California everyone must were seatbelts, but I don't know if the age of the vehicle grandfather's it in. I called my sister-in-law that is a cop is San Diego and she is talking to the traffic division to find out the regulation for older vehicles. Has anyone ever put lap belts in the rear?

Peter

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the MV club I belong to, we have a couple of PD officers. One is a code enforcement and the guy who pull over the trucks and tickets for wt, logs, etc. He has told me it is legal to transport with seats in place, with the deuce. I'll double check. pcbowman, Where are you in L.A.? BTW, did you know there are plans in one on the TMs that show how to add a double sided center set of seats?

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
TM = Technical Manual or Repair Manual or if you're real artsy... Policy and Procedure Manual.

There are no dumb questions. It's the people that refuse help and end up with a monument to their stupidity rather than slowing down and asking a question that bother me.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Definately go for it man the duece will serve you way better than a bus and cost less. I have had Soldiers in the back of one being used as a gun truck and we drove over logs in the road and though ditches and not one of them got hurt and most wanted to keep that job of manning the machine guns . If you find one like mine with a tarp and winch you will have the perfect camp vehicle. And as the previous poster said God be with you as the children today all need to have this kind of caring leadership.

Remember what the Republicans forgot, A great leader is always a servant to those they lead.

A great use for old green iron!!!

Just remember that the max load for a deuce is 16 butts, 8 on each bench, no standing, no sitting on the floor, and NO LEANING AGAINST THE TAILGATE. Had a hard time convincing my infantry leaders that loading any more than that is asking for trouble (injuries).

I like the idea of the roll cage. If you have a tarp over the cargo area, rolling the sides up and tying them (doing a "JUNGLE ROLL") allows for air circulation as well as sun and rain protection. Most of the fumes from the exhaust will dissipate ahead of the cargo bed unless you're really pouring out the smoke.

pcbowman

Are the technical Manual's available on-line? I could find the specific one for an M35.

On a different note, Iron Mike is offering me the Deuce at a reduced price if I take off the winch on the gasser for $4000. Is that a good price for a running duece with an artic cover, and troop seat? See add at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=5&de=138

Or should I look at buying a diesel he has for sale? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=5&de=139

Your thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

littlebob

I bought mine because it was cheap, close and I have some mechanical Knowledge. Just remember that what You are buying is an old mechanical thing that could cost a whole lot to keep running if you cannot maintain it yourself. I have found that parts can be had for somewhat reasonable prices for these vehicles, but if you have to get somone else to do the wrenching it could be costly. I wanted one because I wanted one and hope to have it roadworthy and presentable to use for our local Young Marines unit and Marine Corp League for parades when finished. If you decide to do it, I have always found plenty of information and advice here.
GOODLUCK!
littlebob

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not too far from Iron Mike and I saw his dueces also. Let me know if you want to go see them...i'd love to have a look or help out myself. PM me.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pcbowman, I live in Monrovia. I could help you too. Don't know where Iron Mike is though. Is he the guy who has all the MVs rented to the movie industry??

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just saw this thread, I live in Santa Clarita and would be more than happy to help you look at some trucks and help you out. I think you are covered with the troop seats and a cargo cover for not needing seat belts. Technically you would need a class B license since it has 3 axles and weighs over 10,000 lbs. The loop hole to get around that is to have it registered as a motorhome. If you are transporting 15 or more passengers that will require a commercial license too. Sendme a private message if you need any help or have questions, you can come out and drive my truck to see how they are before making that final decision. I have to warn you, once you drive one, you are really going to want one. Devin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks