• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tighter Turning

USMC6062

The other day I had my truck on jack stands test fitting some bigger tires, I was turning the wheels all the way left and right checking clearance. I noticed the outside tire turns sharper than the inside tire, oposite of what it should do. I think it's because the tie rod being behind the axle. I know on a rockwell you can swap the knuckles side to side and put the tie rod in front, I'm pretty sure by doing this, it will make the inside tire turn sharper than the outside one like it is supposed to do. The way they are stock, the tires fight each other in a turn. The only down side of this is the tie rod would be more easily bent if you ran into something, but no more than any pickup. If you want to visualize what it would do, turn your wheels all the way to one side, then imagine turning the whole frontend around and picture how the tires would be. Of course I will leave my frontend alone and just swap knuckles side to side.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you are referring to is the Ackerman angle. This is accomplished by the angle of the steering arm part of the knuckle that the tie rod attaches to. If what you are saying is true, the outside tire is turning tighter, prepare to replace fronts in 500 miles and you won't be coasting through turns. In my humble opinion, what you are seeing is an optical illusion possibly caused by near negative caster. It would be nearly impossible to drive and something would have to be really bent up to be that way.

USMC6062

It's just an idea, but if the tires are fighting each other, and you can stop it, it would have to make an improvement in turning and tire wear. I went out and looked at the ackerman thing on my truck, and drawing a line through the king pins and the tie rod ends, it does point at the center of the rear differential. So there has to be other factors at play.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks