• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To boot or not to boot?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the scoop: I HAVE to do brakes and seals in the front. I inspected the steering knuckle boots and they look pristine. No cracks or tears.
I will be taking half of the stuff off to replace wheel cylinders and brake shoes, but the extra work of getting to and replacing the boots is something I can do without. I am pressed for time when I get started.

If a boot tears in spring I'll probably swear. OTOH, my zipper-less replacement boots are rubber from North Star or whatever Chinese star product this is and I do not trust them, just from their look and feel. If a boot breaks, I can just get a zippered one and put that on.

Can you straighten me out? What should I do? Do seals and brakes or go for the full Monty?

emr

It is usually bad advise not to do the whole thing,...but everything has its time, if they are that good they may have been replaced and be fine, I would rub em down with WD and if U feel they are good use em, Only time will tell if u made the right choice mhere, would stink if the ones u replaced em with were not as good as the ones u ha, oh well....good luck, if they looked that good i would use em unless i had new in bag on the shelf....

Bill W

I had to do frt brakes to but I had to do my inner seals also as they were leaking so even though my zipperd boots looked fine, I know my luck and how it runs so I went ahead and put one piece silicone boots on while I was down there so I now won't have to go there again....hopefully:roll:

GoHot229

Another guy on the forum was looking for boots, his question was where to find GOOD ones "that would last more than a year' or something of that nature. It leads me to believe the replacements ar'nt as good as OEM ....? I did one of my boots a couple months ago, a zipper job, and it was a P I T A . but as emr says......might be good advise if the aftermarket ones are worth-wile. 'cause you are down that far, and it is about a hour and a half per side .....if all goes right. And....I could be wrong, but I think you'll take it down pretty far just to get the zipper ones on, and yea Chinese rubber is ^*$*(%^$@$^*(&^...!!
>>>>>>>>"Who has/makes axle boots .....that are worth a darn" <<<<<<<< That was the thread where they discuss worth-wile boots of quallity. I sold Quads and dirt bikes from China and along with other things their Rubber parts were marginal. My guess is a bi-anually replacement with Chinese Boots.....trust me..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks