• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top end oiling

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jeepsinker is picking up a valve grind kit when we meet at Taylor trading. He will have the new style gaskets in that kit when he gets home.

rustystud

View attachment Scan0025.pdf
maybe not, the diagram looks to show oil only being fed to the rear of the rear head and then it goes down into the block and back up to the front head and dead ends back in the block at the front. doesn't make sense to have been designed that way so i wonder how accurate the drawing is. look at a head gasket or better yet build up oil pressure on a block with the heads off.
The front and rear head and the rocker shafts are interchangeable. If you look at the diagram you will see that oil comes up the last rocker support and then goes down into the head at the front support. Then in the next head, oil comes up the last support and then again goes down the front support into the head. If you would look at the bottom of the heads you will see the feed holes at both ends of the heads.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
but is the oil fed up into the front of the front head? i see no connection in the block to any oil pressure. maybe just a incorrect drawing? i would think it would have been made redundant.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The block has no hole in the front area - it's 3 holes only: the one to the rear and one pair (said passage), in the center.

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, so now we have the whole picture then. the entire rocker assemblies on both heads are oiled from the one rear point that is fed by the rear cam bearing oil feed. now that makes sense as the rockers don't really need that much oil and oil feed is in order of priority.
thanks, g

JasonS

I have several spare military senior bypass filters. Kinda wondering about installing one on my multi (purely out of boredom and feature creep). The wix 51503 is rated at 10 micron nominal so it is a step above the full flow spin-on filters. Concerned about the difficulty to remove one of the main oil galley plugs and what are the odds that I'd inadvertently get some trash in the oil galley installing a new fitting and end worse than when I started...

Jeepsinker

I don't see you having much of a problem or getting anything in the galley accidentally. All of my plugs have come out with minimal effort, including cooling jacket plugs.

RAYZER

As I mentioned in another thread, I adjusted my valves a couple days back and got one wrong, so I went back in and fixed it today. While I was in there I decided to run the engine without the valve covers installed to make sure I had no valve clatter again and check clearances after a short run. While running I noticed that several of the rockers have little or no oil flow coming up and into the top channel, while others have plenty of oil traveling to both sides of the rocker. I did slide the rockers that were suspect up the pivot shaft and checked the oil passages to see if they were plugged and it seems they are clear. I have read that the front head gets less oil than the rear because of the system also supplying the compressor and injector pump, but there are several on both heads that are this way, even with well oiled rockers on either side of them. Do I need to just forget about this, or might I have some kind of sludge blockage in the oil channels that feed the rockers through the pivot shaft? It should be noted that I found no evidence of galling or wear where the rockers ride. It just seems like all the rockers should show some oil flow. Some of them showed absolutely no oil coming out the top into the lube channel.
I just finished up a head gasket job for a customer.
The rocker arm assemblys were checked for any excessive ware and oil passage clogging, all was normal.
Upon startup and with the valve covers off (at idle) I inspected the oiling function from the oil holes out of the tops of the rocker arms, maybe half of them had good oil flow, a couple dribbled and the rest had none, the engine had good oil pressure and increasing rpm didn't noticeably change oiling function.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks