• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case out put shaft play

cev65

Was driving the deuce last night the parking brake got stuck on. Had to drive bout 2 miles in slow traffic till I found a place to pull off and mess with it. After I got it free it was fine at low speeds, but on my drive home I have a vibration coming from some where. I crawled under it today to take a gander and I noticed the driveshaft between the tranny and transfer have some play in the universals. I also found that the transfer case has some up and down play in the output shaft when u move the driveshaft up and down. I was wondering how much if and play is acceptable??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer the question, I would say yes, it can be done...
... But then there are lots of parts to be removed in order to access rear AND front side bearings.
... And it may require a special puller for the bearing cone #3783, depending how stuck it was on the shaft.
... And it would be a lot of exercise, too.

I would start by disassembling the rear side (with the TC still in place) and see how the cup #3732 looks like. Then decide if all bearings should be replaced or not, depending its condition. Maybe you are lucky and it only required removing a thin shim to readjust to zero-play?

G.

Attachments

cev65

Can't believe it would need new bearings considering the tag on it says it was rebuilt in the fall of 1991. But I'll dig in to it later.

Jeepsinker

Sometimes the rebuilders didn't care. Many times they only replaced the components that absolutely had to be replaced and nothing else. Also don't confuse a rebuild tag with a "repaired" tag and a fresh paint job.

rustystud

Sometimes the rebuilders didn't care. Many times they only replaced the components that absolutely had to be replaced and nothing else. Also don't confuse a rebuild tag with a "repaired" tag and a fresh paint job.
That's how the trannys are rebuilt at my job. They say they are saving money by NOT replacing all the bearings, thrustwashers and bushings. They also us the old clutch plates (automatic transmissions) and only replace what has burnted up. Since my employer is the County (govt.) I'm sure this type of thinking is at all levels of the Government including the Military.

randygk

Gringeltaube has a good idea to pull the bearing cover and inspect, however you didn't mention how much play you have. I think you're better off removing it from the truck, much easier to inspect & repair on an engine stand. The bearings on the input shaft for hi/lo are usually the ones to go, make sure to inspect them. When you replace the bearings on the output shaft you may run out of play and have to add shims. Boyce Equipment dug me up some used serviceable shims at a reasonable cost for setting the preload/play.
Can't remember the play specs or which TM. Also found two different torque values for the nuts on the yoke spline nut.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks