• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission doesnt shift

OLD chevy

hey, new to this website but jsut bought a m1009 and everything but the transmission is fine.. ive been looking around this website and ive seen theres alot of posts about this, what ive done so far to figure this problem out is rip the **** tranny out. had another t400 to put in but dident realize untill i got the tranny out of the truck that it was a t400hd.. now im stuck, dont know what todo, ive seen theres things about a vacum line or filters but i thought id just throw the one i knew was good in but that obv dident work, ive been wondering if i should get a rebuild kit or get one from a junkyard? called up a few places and they want 1200 to rebuild it 4 me, so screw that. its eaither i put the old one back in try the new filter and see if the vacums screwed up to hopefully fix it or rebuild or junkyard tranny for 450? what do u guys think i should do? tranns deff screwed up would not shift unless i pedel shiffted and truck ojnly has 90k on it so idk... thanks in advance

Cucvnut

hmm you sure its the transmission and not the vacuum pump ? nothing is wrong with a HD th400. me and combat jump just rebuilt his in his garage for around 500 to 600 bucks. its very doable if you have time and are willing to try.

edpdx

Check to see if the transmission modulator is connected and the hose is sound. You need to probably post more info on what is happening. Not shifting to 2nd from low? Not going into any gear? Won't move in drive or Reverse?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about any shop will do a bench rebuild for $500. The big cost for them is the removal and installation. Since you have it out already, go ahead and rebuild it. Not that hard to do yourself if you are up to it. There are many videos on Youtube showing how to rebuild the TH400. One of the easiest out there.

Last edited:

OLD chevy

yeah im prob gunna throw it back in, change out the filter and check to vacum lines, it does sound like that could just be the problem, but other than that i like the idea of a rebuild, never done one before but am willing to try if it comes down to it, ive just heard that their a pain to rebuild but if u guys say its not that hard as long as u have general knowlege on working with cars and trucks lol, aint like im mechanically inclined, but tranny jus wont shift on its own, i can get her to shift but its a pain, hopefully the filter works out... thanks for the help

WARWAG

Replace all vacuum lines first. If it drives but doesnt shift out of first gear then its that or the modulator. The hoses will cost you a few bucks and will need to be changed regardless of what ever the actual problem is. The Modulator I believe is about $85. Change that next. Then change all of the fluid and filter. It will be one of those three things. I would say the chances of needing a rebuild is about 5%. Good luck and post pics of what you find wrong!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks