• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two airhorns....

dm22630

What would I need to do in order to add another set of airhorns on the drivers side of deuce?

I think I would need to do the following :

1. Mount another airhorn on the drivers side
2. Splice power from the other airhorn to the extra one
3. Splice air from the other airhorn to the extra one
4. Deafen everyone :mrgreen:

Has anyone here done this?

What are the negative side effects I could run into? (extra air usage, etc)

Feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd put a third air tank to be safe. Also, as far as splicing one in, just a few nylon or copper fittings and a spare set of horns/solenoid/switch and you're set.

I plan on doing the same, but instead I will be adding a Hadley big rig air horn instead of the military dual horns. I just like the sound of a single-horn commercial truck horn, but that's just me.

55Cameo

I mounted a horn in place of the origional that is much larger and it will scare me when I push the button. Overall it is about 30" long and is extremely loud. Might be easier than mounting duals.

Jakob

I'm wanting to mount semi-truck horns in mine. I think the Deuce horn is way too high pitched. It's the air horn equivalent of an 87 Toyota Camry, lol.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of more horn power but not really looking for the big truck sound. Military air horns have a unique sound and I can identify it from a mile away. Not sure I'd want to give that up.

54reo

Recovry4x4 said:
I like the idea of more horn power but not really looking for the big truck sound. Military air horns have a unique sound and I can identify it from a mile away. Not sure I'd want to give that up.
I agree with Kenny completely on this. Quite the unique sound.

Kinda like the a Chrysler Corp. gear reduction starter. My head would always snap around looking for a cool Mopar when hearing it in a parking lot. Although, hearing an old Chrysler starter is getting as rare as hearing a military air horn unless it is one of mine.

It would be a shame to change the voice of the Deuce, almost as bad as swapping in a Nippondenso starter on a Charger.

All in my humble opinion....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have said I plan on ADDING a commercial truck horn, alongside the military one, not swapping them. That way, if I prefer the freight-train-sounding deuce horn, or the big-rig-sounding commercial horn, I can have my choice! :D

Jakob

maddawg308 said:
I should have said I plan on ADDING a commercial truck horn, alongside the military one, not swapping them. That way, if I prefer the freight-train-sounding deuce horn, or the big-rig-sounding commercial horn, I can have my choice! :D
Could that be wired through a switch in the cab? At the flick of the switch, you could pick either one!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In case you didn't know, you can change the sound of the air horns. They have a pitch adjuster on the back of the "bell".

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got the 813 my horn sounded like a mouse far.. well, let's just say it was real small and high pitched. I took it apart and cleaned it (pretty corroded inside), then adjusted it with the screw on the back until it sounded right, came out classic military and quite manly. Same horn as a deuce, makes kids jump at parades, which they seem to enjoy.

Cheers

Trango

FYI, the horns operate by being grounded. They receive 24v power at all times, and the switch merely grounds the solenoid (and thus completes the circuit). It's done this way for simplicity on the switch side of the circuit, which mechanically, is the horn button.

This has positive implications for simplicity all the way down to the steering box.... this is why there is a wire on the steering box (as I recall).

I would further bet that any malfunction in this circuit, such as a rub-through or wiring failure that grounded the switch side of the airhorn solenoid, would result in a very noisy emptying of the air tanks. :)

Best,
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks