• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using original brake lines

Gunfreak25

Provided the steel lines are in good shape with no rust, dents, cracks or other externally visible damage, is there any harm in keeping our trucks original steel brake lines? My truck is a little older than most deuce owners, nearly 58 years old.
But it's been an Arizona truck it's entire life and it's very rare to find rust on most any Arizona vehicle. All of them appear to be in excellent shape and any lines with road crud on them clean up like new with a wire wheel job. Is there a inspection procedure one can do on their trucks steel lines? Am I just being a cheap SOB? Seems to me that if they look fine and there's no damage, they can be safely used.

littlebob

Brake components that had the dot 3 can corrode from the inside, not visible. I would replace any as
soon as possible on something that old. I'm not familiar with the systems on that truck, but if its a single circuit
like the M35, I wouldn't take any chances.

Gunfreak25

Yep, single circuit and very similar to the M35 series. I did not think of the Dot 3 thing. It was never updated to silicone fluid either as was retired from service sometime in the 70's.

I will replace them then. Any idea how much it runs to redo an entire truck? I already have a tube bender. Autozone here sells plain steel brake tubing with a special coating for rust prevention. It is $20 for a 25' roll.

littlebob

No idea on the cost. The brake lines require a double lap flare. Make sure you
get pre-made lines that have it or invest in the flaring tools to do it properly!
I still have a few left to do on mine. I'm sure someone has something on here about how to do it. I think I've found them before, but everything I've done so far was
done with the pre-made.

Flyingvan911

When in doubt, switch them out! It can't hurt to replace them and be sure they are strong and reliable. Safety must come before original parts. Just my 2 cents.

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the information, I will either go with pre double lap flared tubing or just invest in a quality tool kit and do all the flares myself.

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try doing test flares someplace if you can. It is a real pain in the arse! :( Whichever way you go, get a tubing bender to make things easier. Good luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks