• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water In the Air tank

STrider3

Yesterday I installed the two pull cord air tank valves that allow one to drain the water from the air tanks without crawling the truck. When I opened the valves to drain them or let the air out a small amount of an oily mixture came out so I am asking if this is normal. It was the inner tank. Also I opened the valve with the truck running and a large amount of water came out of the inboard tank. It took about three charges to get it to where no water came out with the air. Is this normal? I hope that somebody will tell me this is normal just like the last thread I started about the rear axles not lining up. That was stupid. I hope this thread is not. Also hoping all of you have nothing better to do than answer noob questions. Thank you.

preyn2

What you're draining, specifically, is condensation. When the air compressor compresses the air, it heats up (air molecules are being pushed closer together, causing friction). The compressed air is stored in the tanks on your truck. When that compressed air is used (brakes, air tools, CTIS, whatever), it decompresses, causing the air to cool off (air molecules are allowed to move farther apart, resulting in less friction). When air cools, the humidity in the air condenses. What you're seeing is absolutely no different than the condensation on the outside of a glass of iced tea. It's just contained in the air tanks of your truck and needs to be drained occasionally (and by "occasionally", we mean daily).

phil

zout

You can’t avoid generating water when you compress air.
Though not readily visible, water vapour is present in the atmosphere.
The amount of water vapour in the atmosphere depends on temperature and relative humidity. Air compressed to 120 psi, the average compressor range, is roughly 8 times atmospheric pressure.
That means that one cubic foot of compressed air has 8 times the water vapour of atmospheric air. Depending on temperature and humidity it could mean alot of water being produced by your compressor.

Oil comes from another source.

SteveKuhn

YO! Much of a drag living in NJ can be, sometimes it pays. I ran the part # past my local truck parts store and the price is 40% less even w/ tax, no shipping.

Ordering tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up and good references guys.

Y'all would PAY to see a YouTube of me in my Camber & Carhartt scrunching down and hoisting up between the pioneer rack and the retaining wall of my driveway for the daily draining ceremony.

Math is simple: 3 chiro visits > $ for 2 valves.

Steve

quickfarms

If the semi is releasing every minute or so it sounds like the air drier is clogged and needs to be serviced. Before i serviced mine I would get some moisture in the tanks and it released quite often. Now after it was serviced my tanks are dry and I seldom hear it release.

BTW do not use alcohol injection on a truck with an air drier, ane especially if it has a heated air drier.

Do they open up when the pressure is released?

Heavysteven

Here is the description

Automatic Air Drain Valve, 281923 DV-2

Item# 281923-DV-2
$40.00

Product Description

Automatic air drain valve lets out water from air tank(s) without the driver having to operate any valves or switches. Has a manual drain control built in to override automatic function. Will not clog from small debris in tanks (bits of rust etc). Compatible with all commercial trucks with air brakes as well as Military trucks with air over hydraulic systems (M35, M54, M813, etc) and M923 w/ air brakes. Drain valve has 3/8 inch ports and a 3/8 to 1/4 inch adapter pre-installed.

trukhead

Those automatic ones are cool, my next order.. But how do they know when to drain? When water hits them?
Trolls that used to live under bridges that ate 3 billy goats gruff are looking for a career change so they ride the frame rails and operate the air drains. :D

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You can’t avoid generating water when you compress air.
Though not readily visible, water vapour is present in the atmosphere.
The amount of water vapour in the atmosphere depends on temperature and relative humidity. Air compressed to 120 psi, the average compressor range, is roughly 8 times atmospheric pressure.
That means that one cubic foot of compressed air has 8 times the water vapour of atmospheric air. Depending on temperature and humidity it could mean alot of water being produced by your compressor.

Oil comes from another source.
So thats how a wet fart happens!:beer:

TacticalDoc

I put the drain with pull wires so I don't have to climb under the truck. The only thing that bothers me about them is that I dont want somethning that I drive over tocatch on them then drain my tanks leaving me w/o brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks