• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's your maintenance philosophy?

chicklin

I'm curious as to how everyone approaches this. Do you wait for something to leak or break and then fix it, or do you go around replacing seals, gaskets, boots, etc. on a regular schedule.

The reason I ask is that I will be picking up my first deuce soon and after going over the brakes and changing all the fluids and filters, I'm not sure what (if anything) to do next. I see the master kits for the axles are not too expensive and would probably be good preventative maintenance, but maybe it's really unnecessary until they start to leak. What about rebuilding other components like the airpacks, winch, IP, t-case, etc.?

Just curious.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason I'd ever replace a seal before it leaked would be if you had something else apart and the seal was easy to replace where it otherwise wouldn't. Like a wheel seal. If you have the hub off to pack the bearings you might as well replace the seal while you're in there. I wouldn't just go around replacing seals that weren't leaking though.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I check my trucks weekly, if you know what "right" looks like, you'll know when you start seeing things going bad. Leaks where there werent any before, shiney metal on wheels from loose lug nuts, rubbing wires, etc. I believe in PREVENTATIVE maintainance..... Because the other kind leaves you on the side of the road, with some potentially big tow bills...

littlebob

chicklin said:
I'm curious as to how everyone approaches this. Do you wait for something to leak or break and then fix it, or do you go around replacing seals, gaskets, boots, etc. on a regular schedule.

The reason I ask is that I will be picking up my first deuce soon and after going over the brakes and changing all the fluids and filters, I'm not sure what (if anything) to do next. I see the master kits for the axles are not too expensive and would probably be good preventative maintenance, but maybe it's really unnecessary until they start to leak. What about rebuilding other components like the airpacks, winch, IP, t-case, etc.?

Just curious.
I think the answer would depend on the truck. If you could tell it had recent rebuild and everything visable looked OK, I might assume it was good to go_On the other hand if it is a vehicle that has been out of service for awhile(like mine), I would tr to do alittle more probing to see what it needed. If you bought it from a private owner or GSA, it could have been sitting for years unused. Mine is dated as a 1952REO by medlog and has apprently been through a depot rebuild in the late 80's or early 90's. Mine is is avery old truck that seems to have been retired for a while. I will spend much time and many dollars to make sure it is roadworthy.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pre and Post trip checks, roll around under it and see what you see. Remember, these aren't toys...well, they are, but not...if things go bad, they can hurt someone, or worse.

Jones

Pre- and post-drives checks are always a good idea. Not just to catch problems but to make sure I've packed everything I'll need/want along the trip.
When a leak or break appears it get's immediate attention. Otherwise, whenever anything's torn down it gets new seals, gaskets, new fasteners (if they're one-time-use like spring u-bolts).
I'm pretty pi$$ed if I get stranded somewhere remote; I'm doubly pi$$ed if it's my own fault.

rmgill

I try to keep up with regular maintenance. Since I started doing that, I don't have failures of minor components that leave me on the side of the road for want of a belt or a hose or something. Usually it's a matter of just checking things, keeping things clean and knowing the vehicle.

My maintenance strategy is TMs, ps-articles (Connie Rodd and Half Mast help remembering things...) and common sense. I can't do always things by the book - that would be too costly and time-consuming.

nattieleather

PMCS....Preventive Maintence and Checks Schedule. The -10 has a great schedule of PM you can do on your vehicle. It works well for the army....It will work well for you. This includes before and after trip checks, plus the monthly and longer periods for different things. Then if something does break then fix it.

DanMartin

Seriously guys, these are big trucks and if not carefully maintained (preventative maintenance) you can quickly get yourself in a situation where people could be hurt or killed. These aren't F-150s or 4-runners, and they demand respect and attention.

It's at least an hour if not more of checks before I hit the road...every time. In fact, my truck is currently going through a front axle tear-down for boots and brake lines that means I will miss the MVPA show, but I didn't want to take a truck that I didn't feel good about on the road...even if it's only 20 miles.

So, keep the leaks sealed, the fluids up, the pressures right, the torques to spec, and double-check everything before you head out. Please read and understand the -10, -20, and the various LOs before you hit the road. The life you save could be mine.

FreightTrain

Banned
Something is leaking I fix everything around it within a 24" radius that appears to be old.No wonder my bank account is always empty......Heck,twice I have went to do headgaskets and just scrapped the motor cause I went deeper and found other stuff that was sub-standard but still useable.

mcmullag

maintenance

situations may be a little different depending where you live, city streets or rural dirt roads. Mine stays on the street and is used for car shows and parades. I blasted it clean underneath and keep a constant eye open for leaks. I keep it greased very well by hitting all the zirk fittings all over the place. I keep all the fluids topped off. Going over the brake system even if no problems yet show, is a really good idea since this truck weighs 6.5 tons empty and may need to stop quick, before it climbs up over some cars sitting at a stop light.
I don't have a shop, my truck is not stored at home, so I am not going to do something on it, like axle seals, until they start leaking. If I had a shop out back, I probably would tear it apart and replace stuff just for fun.

glen

chicklin

Re: maintenance

mcmullag said:
situations may be a little different depending where you live, city streets or rural dirt roads. Mine stays on the street and is used for car shows and parades. I blasted it clean underneath and keep a constant eye open for leaks. I keep it greased very well by hitting all the zirk fittings all over the place. I keep all the fluids topped off. Going over the brake system even if no problems yet show, is a really good idea since this truck weighs 6.5 tons empty and may need to stop quick, before it climbs up over some cars sitting at a stop light.
I don't have a shop, my truck is not stored at home, so I am not going to do something on it, like axle seals, until they start leaking. If I had a shop out back, I probably would tear it apart and replace stuff just for fun.

glen
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, except mine will only get used on the farm, with the occasional highway trip from the house to the farm. I don't have shop, either, or many of the fancy tools that a lot of guys here have.

I think I will make sure the brakes and engine are working well, fix any leaks and keep things greased, but I don't have the time tear down axles, etc. unless they need it.

randyscycle

With any vehicle, I try to stay on the PM just to keep long walks home to a minimum. I don't know how many miles I have driven total over the years, but I can count on less than 3 fingers how many times I've had to be towed back in.

As stated above, brakes and steering are two areas not to play with. They have to be right whether its a 6 ton truck or a 1800lb import. When you need to stop or turn, you need to rely on the parts designed to do that. Saving a buck or two isn't worth it.

bmH1065

currently going through a front axle tear-down for boots and brake lines that means I will miss the MVPA show, but I didn't want to take a truck that I didn't feel good about on the road...even if it's only 20 miles.
I was looking at my boots yesterday and noticed the right one had a zipper on it. Is this the way they are replaced?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks